Choosing A Dive Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about preferences between blunt or pointed tip? I'm not sure which to get.
If you don't spearfish, a blunt tip will be most useful, most likely. If you do spearfish, you'll want the drop point.
As scuba gear goes, knives are cheap. I recommend you buy both, and a pair of scissors/shears; carry one knife and the shears; select the knife based on what you're doing on the dive.
Rick

I forgot to mention I also always have a pair of Shears tucked away in my pocket, just in case. They are so cheap, I'd be crazy not to have one.:D

Just to add to this topic.

When buying a dive knife, buy a very cheap one, if you drop it, lose it and you spent $100 on it, you might be tempted to go after it, if its cheap, buy another one....

Once you have your cheap knife, go buy one of those cheap coiled key rings (normally in a nice bright neon color)

For example:
486026.JPG

Replace spilt rings with SS ones, chuck the clasp and attach one end to knife and one end to bcd...sorted :D:wink:

I keep one knife on my leg, one on my bc, one up each wrist, one on my waste, one on my tank, one on my shoulder, one on my mask, one in my booty, two small spear guns on my hip, and I am currently working on my underwater knife fighting specialty! :dork2::eyebrow:

I keep one knife on my leg, one on my bc, one up each wrist, one on my waste, one on my tank, one on my shoulder, one on my mask, one in my booty, two small spear guns on my hip, and I am currently working on my underwater knife fighting specialty! :dork2::eyebrow:
And I never, ever, read the dates on posts.:D

Just to add to this topic.

When buying a dive knife, buy a very cheap one, if you drop it, lose it and you spent $100 on it, you might be tempted to go after it, if its cheap, buy another one....

Once you have your cheap knife, go buy one of those cheap coiled key rings (normally in a nice bright neon color)

For example:
486026.JPG

Replace spilt rings with SS ones, chuck the clasp and attach one end to knife and one end to bcd...sorted :D:wink:

I would definitely NOT want a coil line on my knife. In an emergency that is one more thing to get tangled and complicate the situation. Why make your gear more complicated in order to "save" a cheap knife?

If you are worried about dropping it, a small elastic lanyard would seem to be a much simpler solution.

I carry one sharp (pointed) knife on a sheath on my leg, in the same location for both scuba and snorkeling and also have a small back-up knife on my BC waist strap that is pretty much in a DIR fashion.

I would definitely NOT want a coil line on my knife. In an emergency that is one more thing to get tangled and complicate the situation. Why make your gear more complicated in order to "save" a cheap knife?

If you are worried about dropping it, a small elastic lanyard would seem to be a much simpler solution.

I carry one sharp (pointed) knife on a sheath on my leg, in the same location for both scuba and snorkeling and also have a small back-up knife on my BC waist strap that is pretty much in a DIR fashion.

I am with D2 on this one.

I carry a knife and shears on my harness. Paid $5.00 or $6.00 a piece for them. Clipped off in a wetsuit pocket I carry a folding knife should I loose the other or ditch my rig. Also carry the folder clipped off to the comb loop in my board shorts if I am snorkeling (or surfing) without a wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom