Choosing a Liveaboard for the Great Barrier Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bravokiloromeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I haven't done any boat diving yet, and while the concept of a liveaboard makes sense to me, is there anything that I should be considering when weighing my options for dive operators (other than the obvious schedule/cost/amenities)?

I am heading to Australia for the month of April, and as of right now I'm planning to do something like a 3 day/2 night out of Cairns. The most affordable options with decent dive sites seem to be ProDive and Divers Den (open to suggestions). Packing light so I'm planning to bring mask/snorkel, boots, and I'm considering buying fins on site and mailing back to the US (small premium but saves space since I'll be moving about within the country).

Edit to add: also wondering if it is worth ~2x the money to go on the Spirit of Freedom's 3 day trip up to Cod Hole and the Ribbon Reefs.

Last edited:
Edit to add: also wondering if it is worth ~2x the money to go on the Spirit of Freedom's 3 day trip up to Cod Hole and the Ribbon Reefs.
IMO yes. (As long as level of experience is not an issue.) There's a fair number of threads where people discuss this, here is one you might read if you haven't found it - Liveaboard - change itinerary for ribbon reef?

Thanks for linking that thread. My gut tells me yes, my wallet is screaming no :)

I think I may stick with one of the less expensive operators simply because that would eat a chunk of my travel budget; going to be in Aus the entire month and it's not the cheapest destination in the world...

Back
Top Bottom