Choosing between Belize and Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txg8r

Registered
Reaction score
For the summer diving trip, I'm trying to decide between Cozumel (I've been there but diving boyfriend has not) and Belize (Ambergris Caye - neither of us has been there). Which would you choose and why?

Also, has anybody used Fantasea Watersports dive op on Ambergris Caye? I haven't seen reviews/opinions on them. Which dive ops do you recommend there?

Thanks a million!
=-x

TXG8R,

Welcome to the board. Hope you continue to visit here. Good info and friendly folks here.

Just my opinion, but since you asked. Cozumel wns hands down. Diving is more varied, i found spur and groove diving boring after a couple of days.
The people around Ambergris weren't as friendly asthe folks in Cozumel.
You won't have to put up with the cruise ship crowd in Belize.
If you go to belize you may want to checkout Amegios Del Mare.

just my $.02

These 2 choices are a world apart personally I visited Cozumel a few months agao ans was flabbergasted with the amount of traffic and cruise ship visitors to the point I left just a few hours later (not my cup of tea at all as we say in England)

However Cozumel is not the capital of diving for americans for no reason the diving is good and if you dont mind lots of people and crowds and want to party then it wins hands down.

Belize on the other hand is waaaaaay less crowded and more unspoiled we have some great diving here on Ambergris especially if you stic to the smaller dive operators who have the time to take you to the best divesites instead of having to stick to the more dove sites.

While daylight might have found it a little boring ARAGORN another regular will confirm his opinion of diving Ambergris was it was better than the Cook islands.

SO I'm biased of course but in my opinion Ambergris wins hands down but then again it depends what your looking for.

Dive Safe wherever you choose

Gaz Cooper
Gaz Cooper's DIVE BELIZE

I guess a lot of my decision would be based on "where are you comin from?" and "how long are you stayin?". The travilin expenses are a big part of my decision. I can't spend a lot of money for a few days. But I can spend a little money for a long time. $$$$$$ The divin will be great either way. Either place you can be "pampered" or you can "rough it". Yep crowds are a big part of Cozumel , but if you need to be "pampered" you might not see them. In the evenings Cozumel is not so crowded, but if you are locked up in your hotel you'll never know. So is it a "pampered " or "rough it" trip ?

adios don O

Gaz is correct. The crowds and Cruise Ship traffic is becoming a real issue in Cozumel.

If you do make it to Belize, His operation is also very popular and reputable.

Enjoy

Just my personal opinion - for what it's worth.....I've been to both places and would go back to both places. I thought the vis was much better in Cozumel, but you've got the currents to worry about. When we were in Belize, we stayed on Ambergris Caye and used Amigo Del Mar Dive Shop. They were absolutely top notch. There's not much more to do on the Caye - except dive; but that's why you're going anyways, right!?

Sue

Depends on:

1. Will you want to be doing other things besides diving, either while in either site or on the front/back end of your trip? Each gives you options, depending on your interests (fishing, eco-tourism, Mayan ruins . . . )
2. Will you want night life? Cozumel will likely give you more options?
3. Culinary preferences. Depending where you are in Belize, your options may be limited (as compared to Cozumel).
4. Preference for luxury vs. undeveloped, simple living. Cozumel gives you greater options re the former category. But Belize can give you greater options re the latter categoy.
5. $$. All things being equal, air will probably cost you significantly more to get to Belize, and the transfer to Ambergris, an atoll, or Placencia can only add to your costs. And it may take longer to get there because of limited connections. And, depending on where you are coming from, the Grupo Taca (into Belize) experience is not for everyone.
6. Desire for more personalized diving experience. Many of the Cozumel shops are rather large.

I found an amazing fare to Belize through Continental... so... it looks like Belize it is!!! It actually works better as neither of us have been there and it seems a little more laid back (less likely for us to get sucked into the party strip like in Coz).

So! Next couple questions...

1. Best dive ops (safety conscious, small groups on boats, etc)

2. Best place to stay (prefer medium nice)

3. Dive spots NOT to be missed.

You guys have been great! Thanks again!!!

=-x

Look forward to hearing all about it when you get back. This is a place I am really interested in diving. But before I go, I need to research it to death :)

I haven't been to Belize yet but have a trip planned in July. We will be staying with Gaz (HI GAZ!) who has posted on this thread. He has been exceptionally nice and the rates are pretty reasonable. If you have questions for him you can visit his website at www.divebelize.com and get the e-mail and some more info.

If I get back before you leave, I'll let everyone know how the trip went!

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom