Choosing compass and mounting config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

having a compass on the console does not reduce clutter.

the console is clutter.

if you know you will need the compass then the wrist is fine.(for a course for example)
In reality the compass is probably the last bit of kit to go to for directional reference.

in a pocket is ok if you can get to it.

personally I have a suunto mini compass thet I have ziptied to my whistle and it sits on a clip in various places depending on my kit.

I use the SK7 on a DSS mount and have to solve the distance thing for all my instrumentation.
I find that my arm is the same length if I am holding a console (or anything) in my hand or if it's on my wrist.

If I can read my computers, I can read my compass. Outside of a board mounted compass for refined navigation and surveying all compass mountings have pitfalls for orientation and like all my other gear, I have to figure out a way for it to work for me.

I wear contacts for my vision approach while diving. I finally got to the point that getting far vision (like for hiway driving) and near vision (like reading) is too much for one pair of contacts. So, I worked with my eye doc to optimize a prescription for diving that let me see my instruments and have decent general vision, but I am uncomfortable driving in strange settings where I have to read signs at a distance to make lane changes, etc. So, I either switch back to glasses or a different pair of contacts. (Yes it's a pain to manage multiple contacts, but that is the trade I made to have the vision I need around the dive site and in the water.)

Anyway, I am mixing topics here from the compass question. Just picking up on a few of the previous comments.

This doesn't look like much clutter IMO

product427168image2.jpeg

I started wearing my computer and compass on the same wrist mount. I.e. my computer is on one side of my wrist and the compass on the other. I just slide which ever one I want around to the posterior of my wrist, usually the computer.

The trade off with the console is it's tethered to you, probably in a less than ideal way. To be able to raise the compass to view easily, you need to have a HP hose that is longer than with a bare SPG. The wrist compass eliminates this while still keeping the hands relatively free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had and used suuntos, Sherwoods, scuba pros, on wrists and on consoles etc and for the last two years I've fallen back to using a $3 compass in one of the most compact/convenient configurations for me. The compass is perfectly readable and functional in any angle as it is self leveling. Said compass has been simplistically reliable to a depth of 289'. I don't know of anybody else using this, though.

IMG00270.jpg

I still have a perfectly fine suunto sk6 that I took out of an old console. I meant to either buy or build a wrist mount for it, but then dive time creeped up on me before I had the wrist mount ready so I just clipped in a little ball compass I had laying around. It worked so well that I never looked back.

This doesn't look like much clutter IMO

Yes, it is clutter. Consoles are so 80s and out of style. Consoles, to use them, see the compass and orient it, typically have a long hose. If you were using a spg clipped to your hip on a short HP hose then you would not have a console dragging along on the reef or requiring a tether/retractor. The compass, when you need a serious navigation compass, goes on the wrist. When you need a compass for general orientation, the occasional glance, just put a mini compass on your computer strap, or a smaller, low profile wrist type.

N

I have also used the mini wrist compasses that slide into a watch band and I found them more difficult to use because you have to be aware of properly leveling them and their quality has not been the greatest. Also their very small size makes them more difficult to read with some accuracy. The small ball one had a much better size and functionality balance.

mBsrS_It0Qc8_xJtP996FOw.jpg

I have an SK7 in a DSS mount that is attached to a small slate, a little wider than the mount and about 3X's as long, with an attached retractor. I extended the lubber line the length of the slate to help with positioning. The slate can be used on both sides for navigation or any other notes. Since I don't use it all the time, it's out of the way till I need it.

Bob

Yes, it is clutter. Consoles are so 80s and out of style.

just put a mini compass on your computer strap

N
Hey, hey ,hey. I learned to dive in the 80's so now you understand, it'll never be outta style. Any suggestions on a mini compass?

Anyways, I'm still undecided as always after going through an SB equipment thread. I still got a little time before I'll need it.

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2014 at 03:47 PM ----------

As funny as that looks, it's actually not a bad idea. I used to have those cheesy little compasses that came on the hilts of survival knives. Never figured them to be any good.

Back
Top Bottom