Cheapest Computers with Compasses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob9876

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been doing more navigating recently and really don't love either console-mounted compasses or regular wrist compasses, nor do I want to set up a navigation board. That has me thinking about computers with compasses. I know the more expensive Shearwaters and other expensive computers include compasses, but what are the options for a cheapskate like me -- that is, what are the cheapest computers that have compasses?

And please don't post "Shearwater, buy once cry once" because (1) I'm not going to buy a Shearwater anytime soon, and (2) actually I'm usually pretty happy with my cheaper alternatives, so no crying here and more $$ for diving. Thanks.

1. Regular compass on retractor are best for me.

2. The least expensive, full featured, most advanced computers with compass feature and MANY other features are the Ratio Dive iDive Color computers (truly best value in its class out there):

There is also the bigger screen with bigger numbers and easy to read navigation screen, the Ratio iX3M Pro dive computers that are priced at a "give away" prices:

Suunto Vyper Novo Lite

Atmos is fairly inexpensive

Digital compasses, when you go thrifty, tend to get buggy. hyper sensitive to metals, rings, snap bolts, etc. Might have minimal disturbance to a normal compass but will make a digital compass useless.

I can't speak for or against the compass functionality as I only played with it on land, but the Hollis TX1 has a digital compass, and used ones are fairly inexpensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom