Choosing First Fins - Oceanic Manta Ray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,
I am new to this forum and diving in general, I have completed my PADI open water dive and looking at completing my advanced open water so I can dive a few more of the local spots.
However I am going on my first boat dive this week, and after not enjoying the rental gear for my course I have decided to get some basic gear of my own.

I had a pair of Aqua Lung Shot FX fins, but after trying a few times with my 5mm boots they just were not as comfortable as I would have liked.
So I went back today and they had just got in the new Oceanic Manta Ray fins. Tried them and the XS seemed to fit well and I love the look of this design.
Has anyone used these fins yet? I know they are fairly new.

I was also wondering opinions on fin colour? I like bright colours and so the two options I was looking at was the white and pink or white and sea blue.
Normally I would choose the sea blue as teal is my favourite colour. But I was wondering if the bright pink would be more visible? I would like to be able to stand out with my buddy on diving trips in the future.

mantaray_whiteseablue_group_web.png
mantaray_whitepink_group_web.png

Haven't heard anything about them yet like you said they're pretty new. I've seen them in person and they seemed well constructed but also fairly pricey from what I remember. If you're after a comfortable fin in that same price range try the Seawing Nova fins by Scubapro. They're slowly becoming my favorite piece of equipment. Super comfotable, very fast/powerful, and although they had some issues in the past the new ones seem indestructible. Also, they come in a wide arrange of colours and imo look awesome.

Wish I could be more of a help with Manta Rays.

Normally I would choose the sea blue as teal is my favourite colour. But I was wondering if the bright pink would be more visible?

You're going to lose all red at round 20-25 metres and pink'll look mostly grey. If you want stand out: buy one of each. :wink:

The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture of the Manta Ray Fins is "I wonder if @EliseRenee does photography?". Having white fins with a neutral grey trim would make for an easy way to set (or at least get a reference for) white balance.

IIRC my camera's instructions is to put the white thing a foot away from the lens. Methinks a slate would be a bit less... contorted.

IIRC my camera's instructions is to put the white thing a foot away from the lens. Methinks a slate would be a bit less... contorted.
This is true is you are adjusting in the camera depending on the model, but if you are doing the adjustment in Photoshop after the trip, then having a white area in an image (or in one taken at a similar depth) is a great way to adjust the white balance. (But my intent was not to hijack the thread.)

To continue with highjacking, my Accels are fairly neutral grey and I just bought a small slate for the upcoming trip specifically for setting manual WB. Maybe I should take a pic of my fin right after, thank you for the idea. My camera doesn't do RAW (DC1400) so the amount of adjustment I can do in Photshop is limited.

Back to our scheduled broadcast: the price tag on these things is kinda scary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom