Christmas Dives on Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BuckBuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Will be on Kona for two weeks at Christmas, and am wondering if any shops have any specials for the Holidays.
My wife and I will be looking to do 3 - 5 days of two-tank dives. We prefer smaller groups on the boats.
Mahalo.
:):):)

Christmas is typically the busiest time of the year here, most of the dive boats will be near or at capacity. Don't expect holiday specials. Most companies have discounts that kick in for multiple days of diving, ours kicks in starting the 3rd two tank charter. You'll probably want to be getting your diving lined up in the next couple of weeks, especially if you're looking at the 6 pack boats rather than the larger multiple boat operators. Selection of available dates will shrink as you get closer to Christmas.

As for specials I wouldnt know, I would doubt it though since that is a busy time that probally comes with supply and demand. However if you check out www.konadivingcompany.com you will see that they have a pretty decent 5 trip package price, compared to some of the other shops packages. Have you thought about doing any shore dives when your there? If so there is lots of good shore diving, when I go back next time I plan on only going out on the boat once or twice. Have fun, and you might want to get booked quickly, I imagine most of the shops get very busy at that time. I've heard that Wanna Dive runs a great operation also, and runs a 6-pack boat.

I second Kona Diving Company. I will be diving with them from 12/22-12/31. I used them last Christmas and it was a great experience. We plan on doing some shore diving as well. Don't miss the manta dive.

Aloha! You'll have a wonderful time in Kona. During Christmas we offer our usual multi-day discount. We take up to 6 divers per guide. The other posters are correct in that it is a super busy time of year and you'll want to make your diving arrangements pretty soon. If you'd like to ask us questions, you can e-mail angela@jacksdivinglocker.com or call us and ask for Angela.
Mahalo, Angela and the staff of Jack's

My friends and I will be on Kona from the 20 till the 26th and want to do some shore diving.(My friends are a family-mother two older sons and two younger children who just go certified). I am trying to find a local diver that would act as a source of reference, or maybe a guide to very easy shore dives, easy entrance, little current and no deeper than 30-40 feet. Alot to ask but taking a chance. We have contacted a few shops, and they are trying to help, but no promises. Recomendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated. The goal is to do the manta dive on the 24 with a local shop(reservations are made). Thanks ahead of time--z

My friends and I will be on Kona from the 20 till the 26th and want to do some shore diving.(My friends are a family-mother two older sons and two younger children who just go certified). I am trying to find a local diver that would act as a source of reference, or maybe a guide to very easy shore dives, easy entrance, little current and no deeper than 30-40 feet. Alot to ask but taking a chance. We have contacted a few shops, and they are trying to help, but no promises. Recomendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated. The goal is to do the manta dive on the 24 with a local shop(reservations are made). Thanks ahead of time--z

Holy crap turn that big font off, killed my eyes reading that post. If your looking for shore dives, you should check out www.shorediving.com and look up the Big Island. When you get to Kona, and you go to rent tanks in the morning, someone at the dive shop should be able to recommend some dives to you. If they can not, then talk to the next person at the shop that actually knows about diving and the area. The people at the shops have a pretty good idea of the currents and conditions based off of current weather patterns. Jordan at Kona Diving Company is who helped me chose a couple of dives that were great. I would recommend going to Place of Refuge early in the morning for a two tank dive. You can check out the reef there and stay at 20 feet for the most part, or drop over the ledge to the sandy "Aloha" bottom at 104'. Why are you limiting yourself to 30-40 feet? Either way most of the reef is shallow in Kona so it will work good for you. You can also dive right outside to boat harbor easily, and may see some dolphins since they like that area because of being able to play in the boat wakes. Make sure you stay low because of boat traffic there, and watch your bouyancy. If your worried about currents stay away from Puako after the morning hours, and if your going to Black Pebble beach try to go when the surf is down because the wave break can be heavy there. Hope this helps some.

Sorry for the large print, I was trying to get the attention of anyone that could help. I have studied the island and its sites for almost three months and have come to the conclusion that a local diver is what I need to find to help, or a dive master. As I said I have called and asked several shops for help. The reason for the limiting of depth, one of the divers is just getting over a serious illness and this is part of a very special trip for her, also her first ocean dives. I really appreciate the info and hope you understand the type was a yell for help out of frustration--again I am sorry.

Just a minor correction for our visitors: Kona is a city/region on the island of Hawai'i (in the state of Hawai'i). You will be on Hawai'i, and in Kona.

If you are not able to find a local dive buddy here, I second dropping by one of the shops and talking to the staff. Some shops will run shore dive tours (yes, you would pay, but think of it as the price of safe diving in an unfamiliar area) - maybe you might find a dive shop employee willing to take you diving on their own time, too...

Thank you for the suggestion and the correction of location. I have taken your advice and called several shops but as of yet have had no replies(I know this is the busiest time of year). I will drop by these shops when I arrive, but also will go to the listed sites and at least snorkle to check them out. Thanks again Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom