Christmas Dives on Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver2550, As long as you have some navigation skills you should be able to do some shore dives with out needing a guide. There is a guy in Puako that is offering guided shore dives, but it will cost you. My suggestion is to plan on renting tanks from Kona Dive Company, or Jacks, or wanna dive, or Big Island Divers, and when you go get your tanks ask for suggestions. Wanna Dive I believe started as a shore diving company, but moved into the boating world, he can correct me if im wrong, you would need to check to see if he has enough tanks to rent out now also. Just about everywhere I went and dove has other people, even when it was off the beaten path. If you go to Place of Refuge it will for sure have other divers, so just follow them around. :wink: I dont think there is much a shop over there can do for you until you show up, there is a great amount of information right here on Scubaboard.

About Jackson Seay | Dive Puako Hawaii

Jackson is great! For me the $50 to have someone bring the tanks and lead, know where the safe entry/exits are, where the sharks sleep, and how to access the best and safest caves/tubes is a BARGAIN! He also has access to fresh water for rinsing your gear after the dives. You can always repeat the dives up there once you have had his guided tour, but we went out with Jackson again the 2nd time because we enjoyed hanging out with him so much! BTW, the dives we did at Puako were really beautiful!

I really appreciate the advice. I am going to take a day and go explore the dive sights. Guess I have to make sure I can do what I need to do before I can enjoy the island. Again thank you for the help. Z

Keep in mind, the island is HUGE!! To go from Place of Refuge to Puako is a SERIOUS drive. We were used to Maui and not prepared for how much time we had to spend in the car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom