Christmas or New Year Day Beach Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toby W

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is anyone planning a beach dive in the Fort Lauderdale area Christmas Or New Years Day?

Hey Amigo, I'm well-versed in LBTS, and I've got a quiet Xmas day planned. Am down for a relaxing shore dive. Datura parking might be iffy between divers and holiday visitors. Can always drop/shuttle gear and park at Anglins Pier or another lot if need be.

What're you thinking? Day or nite? Vis mostly dependent on calm conditions not tides, but for entry/exit purposes, high slack on Dec 25 is at 9:49 a.m. and 10:09 p.m. Did 5 LTBS dives this month in mixed conditions; worst entry was at low slack when there was a 2-foot vertical wall of sand to navigate down to get wet; nothing dangerous, just required extra caution. Low slack is 4:02 p.m. Sunset is 5:37 p.m. that day, but it gets dark fast once it drops behind the condo towers. There will be a pretty nice 3/4 moon out, but it won't start rising until 9:03 p.m., dependent on cloud cover.

You thinking lazing on first reef til just past the pier or all the way to the moorings? What size tanks you toting?

pm me if you are interested.

Matt

Hi Toby. I’ll be in ft lauderdale between Christmas and new yrs. I’m doing a dive the 27th at South Florida dive headquarters but would be up for a another dive if your looking for a buddy.

Hey Amigo, I'm well-versed in LBTS, and I've got a quiet Xmas day planned. Am down for a relaxing shore dive. Datura parking might be iffy between divers and holiday visitors. Can always drop/shuttle gear and park at Anglins Pier or another lot if need be.

What're you thinking? Day or nite? Vis mostly dependent on calm conditions not tides, but for entry/exit purposes, high slack on Dec 25 is at 9:49 a.m. and 10:09 p.m. Did 5 LTBS dives this month in mixed conditions; worst entry was at low slack when there was a 2-foot vertical wall of sand to navigate down to get wet; nothing dangerous, just required extra caution. Low slack is 4:02 p.m. Sunset is 5:37 p.m. that day, but it gets dark fast once it drops behind the condo towers. There will be a pretty nice 3/4 moon out, but it won't start rising until 9:03 p.m., dependent on cloud cover.

You thinking lazing on first reef til just past the pier or all the way to the moorings? What size tanks you toting?

pm me if you are interested.

Matt
I am thinking about something on the lazier side. I’m up for either a day or night dive. I’ve 2 tanks, al100 and steel117. I’ve never dove LBTS, so whatever works best for a relaxed dive works for me. Recently moved here so trying to expand my beach dive areas and get some GoPro videos on a variety of places.

Hi Toby. I’ll be in ft lauderdale between Christmas and new yrs. I’m doing a dive the 27th at South Florida dive headquarters but would be up for a another dive if your looking for a buddy.
Yep, I’m looking for dive buddies. Fairly new to South Florida so trying to get out as much as possible to learn the area reefs. What tanks are you diving with and would you be able to gear up on Christmas?

Toby and Marivan 377, good morning gentlemen!

For Xmas beach dive, I'm thinking a nice relaxed midday dive--perhaps noon or 1 p.m. meet/chat/gear prep at Datura entry to LBTS. If we're motivated, I'd possibly be down for reloading for another night dive, too. My suggested times are just that--suggestions, not limitations; I'm pretty flex. Or instead of day and night separate dives, we could prep at around 4 p.m., get wet at 4:30 (surface swim's maybe 20 minutes to start of first reef; 30 if you're feeling lazy or it's blustery, and then descend around 5. It is sunset at around 5:30 and it darkens quickly p.m. Then the second half of the reef explorations, and the swim back, will be full-on dark. I've got all the lighting necessary for the dive, including strobes for the float and dive flag. So please let me know what you're thinking of the loose timeframes I've suggested.

I'll be wearing an AL80 because most oxygen is consumed on the surface swim out (and sometimes back---I like to stay under til near shore to practice compass work (the north-south sand ripple pattern nearshore is kind of cheating:). End of the pier is the middle of Reef 1, max depths perhaps 20 feet, so a bottle lasts a loooong time. LBTS is easy peasy, and enjoyable, unless the winds have been ripping for several days prior (wave entry and lower viz). Directly to the north of the first swim boundary buoy is a "snorkel trail" with man-made concrete cannons and cannonballs and such that can hold some pretty fish and occasional eel. Then it's another hundred yards to the beginning of Reef 1, which starts out as scattered cover that thickens and solidifies some but is relatively level. There's some areas with tires that have been adopted by some of the critters. At this point you are parallel to the end of the pier. The next 50-100 yards is still First Reef, but it turns a little more hardscrabble with more structure and hiding places for animals. I saw two nurse sharks resting last week; maybe they'll be moving around after dark. I'm thinking that'd be our primary exploration area and eventual turnback point. Farther out several hundred more yards at the mooring buoys is the start of second reef, more structure, larger animals, some lobster may still have survived (there's bunches still even further out at third reef, but for me that's a boat dive. Suggest we stay on first reef for your first visit.

Little question that I'll blow out my AL80 while you've got a plenty left in your AL100 (or steel 117), so perhaps I'll swing by Gold Coast nearby and borrow a 100 or 120 so we're better matched. Steve is a good dude there. I've got a fill card with him. Tip some might not agree with, but GoldCoast is 3 blocks farther from the ocean than the "other" well-known dive shop. Not knocking them, but GoldCoast is cheaper for airfills and also gives 10% off all merchandise if you take 5 minutes to sign up to his MeetUp site. He refers boat divers to SFDH, where Marivan377 is diving on the 27th. You get $5 off the $60 trip fee if you book/pay SFDH trips at Gold Coast instead of at the boat. Plus, his half-brother Brad will quite possibly be driving the boat. Anyways, back at LBTS, there's nice freshwater showers for gear rinse at all 3 (4?) of the primary exits to the intersecting roads, but Datura's usually the target. I've got a rescue can with a brand new FL-compliant flag, since I lost mine (at LBTS !!!) in heavy surf on a blustery entry. What a bonus if I find it on the bottom of the sea, hah ha! So we're flagged (important there). I'm hoping for great viz, too, because I also am still learning new tricks with my GoPro 6. If you're using a red color-correction filter, it's not deep enough to benefit much from the dark red filter, but a light red filter is nice at those shallow depths. Anyways, it's almost always a decent dive. I have extra gopro-mountable floodlights if you don't have but want to take some night video (if we dive night). Marivan, of course you'd be welcome to join us for the LBTS Xmas shore dive if you wanted to, and your family/holiday schedule were to permit!

Marivan, and Toby, I dove with SFDH twice this month, for the first time, both times on their AquaView. I didn't look to see how fast it was filling up (they have two more boats, too), but I'm free on the 27th for a two-tanker, either day or nite. My first ride with them was a hunting trip (lobster and lionfish on two reef dives about 3 weeks ago. My second trip with them was last week--we moored on the Okinawa wreck which was pretty cool, for one dive, and the second was a classic drift dive along Sunkist--nice wildlife. There is an eating (and fighting) sized barracuda that was hanging out in the wheelhouse giving me the menacing stare-down--beautiful animal. Anyways, he may become dinner on my next visit (I looooove barracuda filets!). It's a mixed boat so no real guns are allowed, but pose spears are, tsk tsk. So, if one or both of you also wanted to buddy up for the 27th, I'm also down with that. I have friends arriving the next day and it will be nothing but daily diving until the 31st, day/nite wreck/reef....just a nice way to end the year. That said, you two would also be welcome to join us on any/all of our adventures between the 28th and 31st. One partner is my girlfriend who is a new diver (11 logged) and the other is a best bud who happens to be a PADI instructor (that certified my girl 2 weeks ago).Excellent people both of them. On my two trips so far with SFDH, I was impressed with the attentiveness and safety mindedness of captain and crew, while maintaining a flex and relaxed vibe across the boat. So I am happy to dive with them again.

Marivan, which charter are you taking out on the 27th? They've got 8:30, 11:00 (3 tank, all reef), 1:30 and nite boats going out at 6:00 and 7:00 p.m. The 6 p.m. a 2-tank wreck and reef and the 7 pm a 1-tank reef cruise. Water temps werer 78F last week. I wore a 3 mm with hood and was fine, but likely will swap into my new 5-mm that just arrived this week, for a bit of extra cozy for the rest of winter.

So, Gentlemen, give this lengthy diatribe (sorry, but hopefully informative) a good hard think, and let me know if you'd like to go diving together next week!

Matt

Thanks a lot Matt. That was tons of info. I won’t be in ft laudrrdale till the 26th stopping in Jacksonville with a friend for Christmas. I have an al80 that I’m bringing. I’m down to try a shore dive but don’t think I’m ready for the night. Just to put this out there this will be my first dive since I got certified. And honestly am very concerned with ruining a more experienced divers day by buddying with them. Just I’ve heard that some people don’t like newbie ow divers. I was trained very well by my local dive shop. Just would like to meet some people that dont mind me tagging along. Just a bit nerve racking doing it alone. So I am doing the two tank dive off the Okinawa at 830. My gf is coming but just to hang on the boat and see if it’s something she could get into. She’s a bit phoebic about not being able to breathe surface air. I love diving and can’t get enough of it. Just not many friends yet that share the same enthusiasm.

Thanks Matt for the information. My Xmas plans are open. So any of the times will work for me. I like the idea of a 4:30ish start time to get a combo dive in one shot. I can get some GoPro filming practice in. I will be using a snorkel filter for that depth. I’m sure your 80 will work just fine. I use bigger tanks because I’m still working on improving my air consumption. I’ll be working after Xmas but free on New Year’s Day. So I’ll likely miss Marivan on his trip down and diving with your friends as well Matt.

Alright Gentlemen, here's how I see things possibly working for all. Marivan, you won't even be around on Xmas day, so Toby, let's plan on a 4 p.m. entry at LBTS. I'll p.m. you my phone # and we can take it from there in terms of logistics. Get a little day and nite diving in one shot. Is a different world after the sun goes down. My SAC is pretty high, too, so i burn through an 80 faster than many; no problem picking up a 100 so we're better matched an want to linger longer after dark. Snorkel filter for GoPro perfect at those depths, but a flood is really useful, too. I've got a couple of Sumtix LED units (cheap on Amazon) that you can use if you don't have for nighttime; shooting with even my floodlight flashlight, while targets appeared well- and evenly-lit by eye, were all bleached in the center of my flashlight beam, so you need a flood or indirect flashlight illumination. So, we'll sort it out. New Year's Day my girl flies out mid-afternoon. I'll probably be a little stretched from repeated dives all week (and New Year's Eve), so if anything, it'd probably be a night dive day for me.

Marivan, we were all new divers once. And after many dives, we all still learn something new on every dive and occasionally make mistakes that we also learn from. I enjoy diving with new divers so long as they realize they're still learning and we take things slow and get to know each other's abilities, patterns, and preferences. Sorry you won't make the Xmas LBTS dive, but the beach is not going anywhere soon. LBTS is considered to be a relatively easy beach dive, and the shoreline and pier is always lit up for reference at night. I would suggest Blue Heron Bridge for your first night shore dive. It is simple with good facilities, a very short beach walk from parking, lots of critters (mostly small but you never know; highly varied--I posted on a recent dive there not long ago I think), and shallow. Only trick is you must go in maybe 45 minutes before high slack tide and exit by about the same (some say an hour, some say half hour), or the tide shifts and it turns into a silty river. Blue Heron is an island park on the intracoastal in Riviera Beach, and is consistently named as one of the best shore dives in the US/world. I[ve been at least a dozen times. Actually, took the GF there for an intro dive, which solidified her decision to start actual training to be a certified diver. It's easy. It's also where she had her first night dive, which was a lot of fun.You learn currents and compass pretty quickly and will see some cool stuff guaranteed. There is a much longer snorkel trail vs LBTS, too--lots of pix and videos on Youtube to check out. All in all, there is no finer place to (safely and confidently) do a first night dive. There are two nearby outfits, Pura Vida and Force-E, that "host" night dives twice a month when the high tide coincides with nightfall. Thehy are free. They both have guides you can go with (no flag towing yourself, whoo hoo), solo, or in individual groups on your own (my preference). I would be happy to join you for a night dive there (or day if you'd prefer, if it's your first first shore dive and hesitant), but need to check tides/dates. The park closes at sunset, except for us divers and a few homeless people that live under the bridge, which the cops usually move on by dive exit time. But you'll definitely get a parking ticket without a free parking pass from either dive company. Blue Heron is protected; although there is pier fishing allowed (stay away; fishermen tend to aim for divers with heavy lead weights), there is no underwater hunting allowed which makes it extra special. Just phoned Pura Vida. Their next "guided" night dives are Dec 21 (Friday; you won't be here) and then again on Jan 5 (Saturday eve). There's a quick online form/waiver you electronically sign when making a "reservation", then just stop in the shop and pick up a parking pass (never even been asked to see a cert card; you attest to it on the online form). They close up shop at 6:00 p.m., NOT 6:01 p.m.--the place will be locked. Force-E also guides free BH night dives. Their next guided night dives (again, you can go your own way--a flag is mandatory though) are Sat Dec 22, and Friday Jan 4. You do the waivers onsite (it's close by) and not online,and get parking pass in person. No reservation needed. They are open til 8 on Fridays and 7 on Saturdays. So....if you want to try a night dive (your first?) and are around Jan 4 or 5, I'd be happy to accompany you. Just p.m. me to sort details.

Re diving with SFDH on the 27th, I'd be happy to join you as a team of 2 (or 3 if my instructor buddy heads down that early); that said, I am not usually an 8:30 boat-catcher when they have the 1:30 option (not a morning person), but can make an exception (unless you wanted to switch dive charter time to the exact same dive at 1:30, hah hah!). FYI, and I just spoke with Liz at SFDH, if you are under the impression that your Okinawa dive is two tanks on the wreck, it is not: First tank is on Okinawa. Boat ties off to a mooring line that you can descend. The attachment point is about 40 feet down and sand is around 70-75 feet max. The second dive is a drift dive along a reef (captain's choice). Have you drift dove before? It's really cool--you let the current do the work for you. Their afternoon 1:30 p.m. charter the same day is on the nearby Mariner (there's a boat graveyard off Pompano), with similar characteristics as the Okinawa. Mooring line tie-off at 50 feet. Sand around 72 feet max. Then a drift/reef dive after your surface interval. I took my newbie GF on the Okinawa as a duo, and also joined all of her reef/drift dives that she did with my instructor buddy Leon. Lotta fun! So...here's the scoop: I'm not digging the 8:30 departure (I'm a half hour away, and you need to get there at least a half hour early (late divers piss off the whole boat); which means a 6:30 a.m. awakening and needing to move faster than I like to in the morning, hah ha. BUT, if you wanted to switch to the 1:30 Mariner wreck/then reef dive, I'd be happy to join you as a duo team. Give it a think and p.m. me your thoughts. Two considerations: 1) you said you were diving an aluminum 80. Do you have one tank or two? If you need to rent a second tank, you'll have to let them know ahead of time (and pay for it $10, in person or over the phone--best to do ahead). 2) Do you have a DSMB (deployable surface maker buoy) and spool? If not, it is wise to purchase one and carry it on every FL reef/drift dive, just in case. Longer is better and I prefer one that I can fill with my octopus. The idea is to stay with your group/duo's/solo flag that all charters toss in the water for you to grab and use, but it is a mandatory safety precaution to assure visibility in case you separate from your group/flag--this is a high boat traffic area and you want to be seen. For DMSBs, my opinion is that longer is better. I carry a 6-footer (they go up to 10 feet). Four feet is probably the minimum I'd consider, but like the extra 2 feet. Color less important (mine's lime green; they also come in orange, red, and yellow). I won't drift dive with someone not carrying DMSB (or at least an SMB).I have an extra one on the 27th (the GF',s, but she doesn't arrive until the next day, so you could use). Not really necessary for moored wreck dives. Takehome message: Happy to buddy up with you on the 27th SFDH dive but would prefer the very similar (but more reasonably timed--for me) afternoon charter to the Mariner wreck. Plus, the boat ride is warmer in the afternoon vs early morning, hah ha!). I don't mind diving with a new diver, and we would talk at length about the dive plan, emergency plans, and review hand signals and gear before getting wet. I have a spare DMSB (but you will eventually need your own!). Last, you're welcome to join my crew for any/all dives through the rest of the week, too. Mostly boat diving. I'll be hunting lobster and lionfish nearby while my pals are doing their AOW training exercises, which will no doubt include looking for lionfish and lobster, tsk tsk! I just make a kick-butt Lionfish Zookeeper replica from plumbing parts at Home Depot I bought yesterday--$25 in parts instead of $126 retail. I have extra pole spears and lionfish are super tasty, if you wanted to hunt sometime. You do not need a fishing license to kill lionfish, but do for everything else including lobster (6/day limit !!!).

Ok, another long diatribe. Gentlemen, please p.m. me and we'll sort this all out easily. Look forward to meeting you both.

Let me know your thoughts, please.

Matt

Hey Matt,
Sorry for the delay but I wanted to make sure I read your message entirely. 4:00pm entry sounds good to me. I’ll be arriving earlier to get the lay of the land and look around. I’ve never been there so this will be great. I use a 2500 seadragon flood light which attaches to my GoPro housing. The video and stills come out pretty well. Good enough for my social media posts anyway. As for New Years Day, an evening dive works well. I can do my usual early morning run to kick off the new year and rest up with food and football for a night dive.

Marivan, sounds like I will likely miss you this trip down but keep me posted on your dives. My work schedule is subject to change and I may be able to make an afternoon dive while your down.

Thanks again to you both.
Toby

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom