Chuuk (Truk) Lagoon March 2009 - liveaboard suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divehappy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all

I was scheduled to go on Expedition Fleet's Chuuk Lagoon liveaboard in March - but it looks like they have cancelled their Chuuk schedule for 2009 - probably due to the economic crisis.

I checked the websites of TrukOdyssey.com and Thorfinn.net but neither of them have schedules available for 2009 either.

Is anyone else scheduled to go to Chuuk next year and does anyone have any recommendations about other liveaboards there?

Cheers
Chris

The Expedition boat is relatively new to Chuuk and probably couldn't compete against the Odyssey and Thornfinn. I'd be really surprised if the Odyssey wasn't operating in 2009. They always had a full boat when I was there for a few months in late 2007. They typically book large groups and only have individuals a few times a year. The only problem that might occur would be the lack of diesel fuel. I think the Thornfinn actually uses waste oil from various places in Micronesia. They have had their share of problems in the past with the boat sinking but I think they are operating just fine again. They don't have great communications in some cases as the Internet in Chuuk is very limited.

There are no other liveaboards in Chuuk.

Both Blue Lagoon and Truk Stop Hotel visit the exact same dive sites as the liveaboards so if you really want to go, just dive with one of these places and you'll get your fill of wreck diving. I'd be glad to comment on these two places if you decide to use one of them.

Can't go wrong with the Odyssey. We have done over a dozen live-aboards and the Odyssey is one of the best. There is a complete trip report, gallery and MultiMedia show at our website: Aquablue Dreams

The Odyssey is great. From what I heard when I was on it in August, they are booked solid (as in, no openings) through 2011. That would explain why they don't have a schedule up...

thanks for the rapid and very useful responses guys. Looks like I will have to wait. Oh well, I have other trips planned but, as you can imagine, I was really looking forward to this one.

Thanks again

If they are , and have been booked so solidly in theses uncertain times it would seem to me their menu would reflect such a windfall. With such a topnotch dive vessel and crew , I was surprised at the lackluster food.

VB

I was surprised at the lackluster food.

VB

You must not have visited the grocery store while you were in Chuuk. There are very few products brought into Chuuk, Micronesia. Many items in the grocery store are past their expiration dates. Frankly, the boats are lucky to have any variety or quality at all. Chuuk is isolated and extremely poor. I'm sure food is one of the most difficult and expensive items the boats have to deal with. There is virtually no local food production so everything is imported. There are only a couple of small resorts on the entire island and only 3 or 4 restaurants including the two in the resorts. I actually thought the restaurants did a pretty good job considering what they had to work with.

NCchuck - can you give us some information on the two landbased operations? I have considered doing the Odyssey in the future but since they are usually booked up waay in advance by groups and we can't plan that far ahead, I would like to know other options. :D Don't know if we can do this trip, but I'd really like to look into it in more detail and there doesn't seem to be much here on SB about it.

A group from our LDS did the Odyssey 2 years ago and raved about it and the diving. One person brought back a book which had extensive details and maps of each of the wrecks. Very cool but I can't find it on Amazon so don't know where they got it. Anyone have the name and author?

robin:D

The two land based operations are Truk Stop Hotel and Blue Lagoon.

Truk Stop is right near town making it easy to walk around and see a little of Chuuk though there isn't much to see. The hotel appears a little run down on the outside but it's nice on the inside. It's like an old fashioned hotel but they keep it clean. There is no beach but they have a great patio on the water where people usually gather. You can get an ocean view room for only $9 a day more and it's worth it. You can bargain with them on the package price.

I actually lived there for 3 months. The food is pretty good and they have several choices for each meal. They have a great buffet twice a week. The dive shop is managed by a PADI professional. They visit the exact same sites as the liveaboards and the longest ride is probably 30 minutes. Most are less.

Blue Lagoon has a very nice setting with a tropical feel and looks rustic from the outside. The rooms are pretty dated however and I didn't think well maintained. It is totally run by locals including local dive guides. The problem is that this place is very far from anything else. You are a captive when you are there. You will not have access to groceries or beer or anything else that they don't sell themselves. They do have a nice restaurant. I love the grounds and often went there on my day off to have a few beers. The liveaboard docks at this resort. As long as your expectations aren't too high, you'll like the place. You may be able to get them to take you to town. Again, they visit the exact same dive sites and they are probably 5 to 10 minutes closer to most of them.

Chuuk is a mess. It's very dirty and run down. There are few if any restaurants outside the Truk Stop and Blue Lagoon. I've been to many very poor countries that still kept what they had nice and clean. That doesn't happen here. The people are pretty nice but if I were a young woman (under 30), I wouldn't walk the streets much by myself. Many guys think women are just things to please them. Many are real pigs. Just ignore them if necessary. Peace Corp volunteers often have problems with some of the local men.

Don't let any of my comments scare you away. Both operators are fine and your cost will be much less than the liveaboards and you see the same places though you'll have fewer dives. The diving is terrific and most dives are under 100 feet. Most of the guides on the island are terrific. Overall, the island is very safe and most people are welcoming. I hope you decide to go with one of these operators instead of waiting forever for a live aboard opening. You be glad you did.

I'll be glad to go into more detail on any specific concerns you might have.

...on the Thorfinn. I did it in '04 and had a blast. As was already said, the food was ok, not great. The accommodations were very adequate and the dive guides superb. The Thorfinn uses skiffs to get to the wrecks and this has its advantages; we broke our group up into two groups: those that wanted the more challenging dives like the San Fransico Maru, and those who wanted the shallower wrecks and did not want to penetrate that much. Our guides knew these wrecks thoroughly and many times took us off the beaten path into areas not frequented much. Also, the Thorfinn will allow a less stringent profile than the Odysee (so I've heard); they pretty much allowed us to dive to our capabilities. Guest came aboard mid-week; a single German gentleman, and another couple. I can't believe you can't get a week aboard the Thorfinn sometime in '09. Check with Cheryl Patterson at Deep Blue Adventures - info@bestdivetravel.com

Good luck---Don't give up; Chuuk is well worth any effort to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom