Chuuk, Yap or Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Whaddaya say? Which one should I head to? I've got the vacation time and my girlfriend is staying home so I can dive with no guilt. :bounce: Recommendations please.

jiveturkey once bubbled...
Whaddaya say? Which one should I head to? I've got the vacation time and my girlfriend is staying home so I can dive with no guilt. :bounce: Recommendations please.

Diving Chuuk and Palau are very different - perhaps oversimplified, Chuuk is wrecks and Palau is currents with sharks and pelagics. I've never been to Yap, but people seem to go there to see mantas.

Whether Chuuk or Palau, IMHO either should be done from a liveaboard.

donacheson once bubbled...

Diving Chuuk and Palau are very different - perhaps oversimplified, Chuuk is wrecks and Palau is currents with sharks and pelagics. I've never been to Yap, but people seem to go there to see mantas.

Whether Chuuk or Palau, IMHO either should be done from a liveaboard.

From what I can tell, Yap is the best place in the world for Mantas. I'm really intersted in wrecks and naval history so I'm kind of leaning towards Chuuk but then again, I hear Palau is fantastic. I'm hoping someone who has been there can provide some insite into just how good it is there.

Why do you think these islands should be dived from a liveaboard?

Jiveturkey,

Long (45-60 minute one-way) boat rides and usually only 2 dives a day when staying ashore as compared to short boat rides and up to 5 dives a day when staying on a liveaboard.

Rickg

jiveturkey once bubbled...

From what I can tell, Yap is the best place in the world for Mantas. I'm really intersted in wrecks and naval history so I'm kind of leaning towards Chuuk but then again, I hear Palau is fantastic. I'm hoping someone who has been there can provide some insite into just how good it is there.

Why do you think these islands should be dived from a liveaboard?

rickg answered the question, although IMHO 5 dives per day is a bit much to count on - 3 or 4 per day and you won't miss much. However, there are those hardy, dedicated souls who measure the value of a trip like this by the cost per dive.

After 5 dives a day for 5 or 6 days, I'd be a zombie. I'd rather enjoy 3-4 dives a day than try to maximize my time in the water.

I'm still not settled on anything. I'm also looking at Sipadan. I can save up to $800 by going there. Not an easy choice. I want to dive those wrecks but I can do a lot with that money in my pocket.

I will let you know in January after visiting both Palau and Chuuk what I think :D

I will go on a liveaboard as I enjoy being on the sea all the time, it is easier to make real friends... But that is me.

4-5 dives a day for a week is fine for me. I take pictures and prefer to dive like this than a few loong dives. Just be careful doing this many dives over several days.

Have a nice vacation!

Chuuk dive sites are all 10-20min boat ride using shore based charters unless you are doing reef or the destroyer at the north end and that is not to much longer, Palau boat times are what Rick has said but is the best of both worlds reef and wreck. But be warned that folks are there to dive the walls and it sometimes was hard to get to a wreck. Most do their wrecks in Chuuk and then go to Palau to see the fishies or visa versa. No wrecks to speak of in Yap(the one there is inside reef and is a stripped open hull around 15m in length) but Mil Channel has to be one of the best dives one can do! If only all our decisions were so bad!!

TJO:
I will let you know in January after visiting both Palau and Chuuk what I think :D

I will go on a liveaboard as I enjoy being on the sea all the time, it is easier to make real friends... But that is me.

4-5 dives a day for a week is fine for me. I take pictures and prefer to dive like this than a few loong dives. Just be careful doing this many dives over several days.

Have a nice vacation!
I look forward to seeing your feedback :)

Yes, you might want to look at the thread in accidents of the guy who got bent doing a liveaboard at the Similans recently.

I just got back from over a month in Mironesia, Yap, Palau and Truk. A lot depends on what time of year you want to go.

Back
Top Bottom