Cigars & Liveaboard?

1 cigar ok at the end of a dive day on a liveaboard?

• Yes

Votes: 46 46.5%
  • No

Votes: 53 53.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just let us know what boat(s) you'll be doing this on. I want to avoid them.

Completely get it. That's why I wanted to ask here and see what people think. I hate when people smoke cigs near me. Just enjoy a cigar on Vaca but this may not be the best setting.

If someone asks me if it would bother me, I would probably tell him that it does not if he smokes it outside and makes sure that he does not bring the smell indoors.

Cigars aren’t like cigarettes, you won’t see someone smoking 20 a day :)

I can see however how someone could get annoyed.

Physical Science is in question here?

Boats at anchor (or underway) have a defacto downwind deck area. You can not detect the smell of anything if you are standing upwind. Deer and most animals other than Man take this as a given.

This is where designated smoking areas are situated. Usually upper deck and aft. Nobody is downwind. This is where we gather to burn cigars and if need be, fart like ponies.

A passenger can not smell anything being done in that space unless they were downwind and off the boat, thus not a passenger, and you’d be wet and have other concerns.

It is pretty basic science.

Boats in coves may not have wind.

Divers, wet in the water preparing to descend, likely don't want a nicotine hit.

Smoking anything is still smoking. There was a thread that went on forever about any smoking on dive charters, though here we are asked about Liveaboards. Well, same idea. I have never smoked my pipe on any charter. Not because of their policy, but as a courtesy to the majority of people today who don't smoke. There were many arguments from smokers regarding how much engine exhaust you could inhale vs. second hand smoke. Also discussions about why not let smokers light up down wind from all the others. All that's just talk. As is just talk when non-smokers complain about it when it is obvious that smoking is allowed (and sometimes done by the crew themselves).
My opinion has always been it's up to the folks who run the boat. If smoking is allowed you should be able to smoke without criticism from anyone. If it's not allowed, just don't smoke at all.
Smokers and non-smokers alike can google these dive ops and ask about smoking then decide if they want to patronize that boat. It's so simple--why so much discussion?
Interesting tangent-- In Scarsdale, NY there is no smoking allowed inside any public place as well as outside on any Village property (sidewalks, etc.). Years ago I went into the Smoke Shop there and both the owners were smoking cigars, and attending to customers who obviously were smokers. I guess these owners were breaking the law. Recently, smoking on city owned land by the Halifax Regional Municipality was banned (outside-sidewalks, etc.). People in downtown Halifax in apartments basically have nowhere at all to go since most apartment buildings prohibit smoking in your apt. It's OK to smoke in your house and on your own land, if you are fortunate to have such.
Sometimes things get too carried away.
Can it be far off where the US/Canada ban smoking on all charter boats--diving or fishing?
Of course that will happen.

Watch your ashes too please. I really hate it in the a.m. when I'm checking my gear and there's ashes all over the place. Yes, it happens

I dont smoke, despise cigarrettes and the cloud they leave, cigars and pipes not so much but that being said if the person is down wind and does not impact me in any way (smoke, ashes etc..) then puff away. Even Jacques Cousteau had his pipe.....

As someone who has been enjoying cigars for the past 50+ years, I never smoke when and where it might bother someone else. My answer was to give up on charters and liveaboards and to be fortunate enough to locate someplace where I can dive and smoke. We have a nice space that is deserted in the evenings where I can light up in peace after a nice day of diving.

If you're ever in my neighborhood, let me know. I have a lot of cigars to share and an extra chair. :)

cayman beach chairs.jpg

Physical Science is in question here?

Boats at anchor (or underway) have a defacto downwind deck area. You can not detect the smell of anything if you are standing upwind. Deer and most animals other than Man take this as a given.

This is where designated smoking areas are situated. Usually upper deck and aft. Nobody is downwind. This is where we gather to burn cigars and if need be, fart like ponies.

A passenger can not smell anything being done in that space unless they were downwind and off the boat, thus not a passenger, and you’d be wet and have other concerns.

It is pretty basic science.
Yeah, and the rest of the basic science is the sickening smell sticks to the area they were smoking in, and on them, thus ruining that space and being near them for hours, if not days.

Back
Top Bottom