Clarks Hill/Thurmond Augusta, GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Yes,it is winter and yes, temps are chilly. Yet, four of us had a pleasant dive today. Water temp was 44 degrees and we dove to 76' today. Nice bass, a catfish and small fish. Dive time was shorter than usual as one of the divers had an older suit (we dive wet). We had a 37 min dive - 2000 psi left, but temps limit dive time. Vis was very good 15' or so. We spent time swimming in and out of the plane. We are diving N. Augusta boat ramp tomorrow @1p in (near Riverview Park) the Savannah River. Should be a longer dive due to the shallow depths ('bout an hour).

What a beautiful day (sunny and 75 degrees) and a great dive in the Savannah River (N. Augusta Boat landing. 5 of us dove today. Turtles, large carp, and other stuff. Vis was about 10-15' We had an hour long dive. This is a shallower dive (about 18' max) and it is in the fall line of the river. This means large boulders and sheets of rock. Nice getting out of the water in something other than sub 40 degree temps.

Could you post pictures of this? It sounds interesting and I'm desperate to dive.
Thanks,
dave

I enjoy photography in the tropics, but haven't really bothered taking photos of local stuff. I'll take a camera next weekend (don't know why I haven't thought of this earlier). I've made a map of our lake dive, but haven't done anything photo or map wise with the river. Have to work on that. EVAD, I think you dove with us once at the lake maybe a year or two ago?

I enjoy photography in the tropics, but haven't really bothered taking photos of local stuff. I'll take a camera next weekend (don't know why I haven't thought of this earlier). I've made a map of our lake dive, but haven't done anything photo or map wise with the river. Have to work on that. EVAD, I think you dove with us once at the lake maybe a year or two ago?

Where? Definately not near Augusta, although I have a lot of relatives in the area. I'm just interested in odd, out of the way, places to dive. I don't know why.

Maybe I have the ScubaBoard name wrong. He was one of the Lake Lanier Looney Birds. Anyway, Augusta isn't a bad place for a diver. It is a little out of the way. One of mags rated it very highly as a great place to live (Evans near Augusta where I live). Housing is very reasonable. 2 hours to Atlanta or Charlotte for cheap airfare to dive destinations Low cost of living. It is not ocean diving, but it has some good freshwater local diving within 15- 20 minutes of my house with a bit of variety - lake and river. We have a good local dive shop that does nitrox.

I have to say it is a good dive , The divepro showed Tony and myself around.

Hey Ken, I've been following your drysuit adventures. Each year I keep thinking about biting the bullet and making the investment. Then Spring gets here and I forget how cold it was. If I lived 10 feet further North I would definitely be diving dry :D Maybe next year....

Hey Ken, I've been following your drysuit adventures. Each year I keep thinking about biting the bullet and making the investment. Then Spring gets here and I forget how cold it was. If I lived 10 feet further North I would definitely be diving dry :D Maybe next year....[/QUOTE
Jeremy gave me a great deal I couldn't pass up and the last Lake Lanier dive Tony and me tried . got in the water droped down to 5' I hade a problem staying down came up Tony came up and said he was thumbing the dive . I was totaly OK with that. The water was 45* at the surface . air temp was in the 34* to 36*. that made the decision to go dry and buy a drysuit final. The ramp is open know you'l have to come up to jocassee on the 19th. Tony and me are going to practice diving dry

Hey Ken, I've been following your drysuit adventures. Each year I keep thinking about biting the bullet and making the investment. Then Spring gets here and I forget how cold it was. If I lived 10 feet further North I would definitely be diving dry :D Maybe next year....[/QUOTE
Jeremy gave me a great deal I couldn't pass up and the last Lake Lanier dive Tony and me tried . got in the water droped down to 5' I hade a problem staying down came up Tony came up and said he was thumbing the dive . I was totaly OK with that. The water was 45* at the surface . air temp was in the 34* to 36*. that made the decision to go dry and buy a drysuit final. The ramp is open know you'l have to come up to jocassee on the 19th. Tony and me are going to practice diving dry

We are toying with the idea of heading to W. Palm that weekend, but if not I wouldn't mind a Jocassee trip. Glad to hear the ramp is open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom