class for class sake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kittyjg

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was in FL recently and did a few "trust-me" dives with a DM very familiar with Devil's Den, Blue Grotto and a couple of other springs in central FL. All involved some overhead. All were classified as only requiring OW or AOW. I had some apprehension to the dives because of the overheads and swim-throughs, but thought things through, explained my feelings to the DM and felt more comfortable as the days went on.
My question is, I was thinking about, at least, taking cave training for the information, not neccessarily wanting to do cave diving. I don't think I would ever consider going into a cave. Same for wrecks. I quess I just want the information/training for information sake. I thought it might make me a little better diver.
When I said that to another diver (who has several more years of experience than I), he though I was just going to waste my money and time. If I didn't do cave diving, I would forget everything within a few months.

Was he just trying to be macho or was he correct?

Start with a cavern class. It will do wonders for your buoyancy even if you don't continue with the environs. It will definitely make you a better diver.

Devil's Den is a cavern because there is ambient light. I, too, felt apprehensive going down to the bottom of the den for the first time. Also seeing those gated off areas with the "divers have died here" warning signs doesn't do anything to lessen anxiety. Repeated visits to the caverns helped alot.

Well if you really don't want to be making those sorts of dives then perhaps you could find other ways to grow as a diver.

Lacking a useful profile I will suggest the Rescue Diver course and more diving. If there is an aspect of your diving that you are not confident in such as buoyancy, planning or kicks nothing says you can't hire a DM or instructor to work with you outside of the standard course structure. Also if you come into favor with a good mentor that is an awesome situation.

Pete

If you do decide to try out some cave training, I would suggest a cavern class with a well known cave instructor. Very likely you would have to travel to either Florida or Mexico to train with one of these instructors, but the experience that they have teaching cavern/cave divers is well worth the extra expense and time.

I really think that a GOOD cavern class is a good idea for most divers. The alternative kicks, line work, buddy skills, gas management, focus on good bouyancy, understanding of the dangers involved in overhead diving, discussion of the panic cycle, etc, all of these are covered and are of value in all types of diving.

If these dives sparked your interest by all means plan another trip down to cave country and schedule a cavern class with a good instructor. Know, that to be a safe and profecient cavediver it takes a lot of time in the water. You can't expect to pass the class, go home and not get in the water for 6 months then go back to florida and dive the caves. I know many people who have been bitten by the cave bug that live literally a days drive or across the country but they keep their skills sharp diving in quarrys, lakes, the ocean etc. Cost is also a factor --- the only way to perfect your buoyancy in a drysuit - double - harness and backplate that will be required for cave class is to own and dive it -- a lot prior to your cave training.

Cavern class sounds great! But be sure you understand the commitment you would have to make to go beyond. Try a rescue class as well. Every diver can benefit from taking one.

Good luck!

Unlike decmpression diving, you really can't take a cave class without going in a cave. You only get a tiny fraction of the learning experience.

I 4th (or whatever I am) taking a cavern class if you are "interested but hesitant"

I'm not a cave diver so I have no idea what the class has to offer, but i say go for it. Theres nothing wrong with extra education even if you won't use the info. Ive gone back to college part time on several occasions just to take classes i thought would be interesting even though i have no plans for using the things i learned in a practical manner but I still enjoyed it and have no regrets.

Most of the skills applicable to open water diving will come in cavern class. As others have said, get with a reputable instructor and take a cavern course. If you need names I'd be happy to give you a dozen. Or even try to match you up with an instructor who might match your personality/desires in diving.

Having a cavern card will open up a LOT of sites in N.FL. to you. When I started this mess, I had no intention of being a cave diver. I just wanted to be able to dive the local sites. Now that I've taken cave class, I really do enjoy the entire experience. But this is local diving for me. If I lived in the Great Lakes, that's what I'd be doing. Since I love wrecks, and I prefer freshwater, I'll be up there anyway! :wink:

scubafool:
If you do decide to try out some cave training, I would suggest a cavern class with a well known cave instructor. Very likely you would have to travel to either Florida or Mexico to train with one of these instructors, but the experience that they have teaching cavern/cave divers is well worth the extra expense and time.

I really think that a GOOD cavern class is a good idea for most divers. The alternative kicks, line work, buddy skills, gas management, focus on good bouyancy, understanding of the dangers involved in overhead diving, discussion of the panic cycle, etc, all of these are covered and are of value in all types of diving.

Hmmm....
Once again , I am force to agree with Da Fool ... :wink:
I think what you learn in cavern class carries over into a lot of different diving environments.
Hmmmm... Line Work... (not going there) :11:

Da Bean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom