Class Report - Cavern/Intro with Rich Courtney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations to both of you! Sounds like you both had a wonderful time and came home with a lot of enhanced skills and knowledge as a result of your experiences! Nice work!

Thanks Dave!

Thank you for the very kind words. It was an honor to dive with you both.

an honor?? :rofl3: many words come to mind but that is not one of them :wink:

Congrats to both you ladies! That's wonderful! Enjoy your new training/skills. :)

Thanks Ranier!

Now, what you ladies need is a trip to Mexico . . . :D

Sam and I dived together in the Cenote "caverns", after what we learned in class, it now occurs to me now that those dives were just a bit beyond our training and equipment setups, but due to the ease of the dives it seemed like it was ok at the time. Sam and I are far from geologists, but as quarry divers, we have an appreciation for beautiful underwater rock formations. As one can imagine, if we think a rock wall in a quarry is pretty, the Cenotes and FL caves blew us away. I remember thinking at Peacock, how wonderful it was to be able to go in one entrance and visit the equivalent of an art museum with all the gorgeous scalloped walls at the Peanut line to the left and mini Grand Canyon like rock formations to the right. I felt like a kid in a candy shop, with the imagination in overload :D

Glad my favorite northerners had fun, I think... :wink:
Had a great time diving with you guys and it was really nice watching it all come together (kinda!) on the last day. Perrone was definitely good to y'all and I'm happy things worked out.
Hopefully you can pass on that cave diving's an activity that's not to be undertaken lightly and I expect to see you guys down here soon or Mexico/Bahamas practicing your new found skills! As we talked about, if you decide to head down to North FL, gimme a shout, we'll go cave diving and I promise I won't turn out any lights or harass you, at least underwater.... :mooner:
Congratulations on your hard earned Basic Cave certs and I'll talk to y'all soon..... :)

Safe diving,

Rich

Thanks Rich :daydreaming: you bring up a good point about the "undertaken lightly" bit. Sam and I were doing what we love most, dive and it is not our style to bitch or brag about how hard something is that we accomplished. We laugh and poke fun at ourselves, probably so we dont break down and cry like girls when the going gets tough. We have received a bit of feedback when we said the class was fun, that is must not have been hard enough and I had to dig deep not to feel insulted. Neither one of us listed all the gruesomely embarrassing details of our struggles, mostly because we felt we provided enough entertainment as it was :wink: We know there are living witnesses to our shenanigans just in case our own humility wears off, which I doubt. Thinking how to take care of all living witnesses . . .

Wow, great reports....

Thanks Orrin!

how exciting! i'm thrilled for you both.

i got to meet spf before either one of us were really cave divers - back in the 'wannabe' stage. :wink:

Thanks BD!!

Awesome reports, Donna and Sam. Thanks for sharing your learning curve. Sounds like you got soooo much out of your training. Meeting Scubaboarders is awesome...local guides, mentors, saviors, patient saints, and/or comedians.
I had to laugh all the way through your descriptions as I see myself being the :dork2: :trainwreck: in April when I take my cavern class. I hope Capt. Jim takes an extra dose of "patience" pills with his morning vitamins those days.

I'm looking forward to the class but not at being the entertainment for all those participating in the annual Spring Megadive that weekend. I'm sure there will be photos and bonfire depictions :shakehead: :rofl3::rofl3:.

Elena, We chose Rich based on a number of things, personality fit amongst the top criteria. I think all CI's must have standing refill orders at their pharmacies on the "patience" pills :D And you can just forget about all pride and be prepared to eat humble pie, might as well consider yourself the main act :rofl3: ok, ok, I take it back, you are a far more advanced diver than Sam and I, so I am sure you will ace Cavern without incident :bounce4:

While I thought both of these reports were awesome I wanted to add just a couple things now that I have a few moments.

1. Donna and Sam are two good friends and dive buddies. It cannot be overstated how helpful this is when taking a challenging course. I noted how much they were able to communicate WITHOUT words at times, or with very few words. This was expedient, and efficient both in the water and above the water. That understanding can really help move things along when the need arises.

2. I noted that the question came up here in the thread about "continuing cave training." Personally, I feel that divers should progress slowly and deliberately though these levels. There is MUCH to see and do at each level of training. Sam and Donna should probably be concerned about honing their currently learned skills so that when they proceed to further levels, these skills are well ingrained. For those NOT able to cave dive regularly this is challenging, and I hope they try to replicate as much of the experience as possible in open water.

3. I was very happy to be able to re-do a day of cavern and watch Rich work. Running the reel has never been a strong suit of mine but I picked up some good tips from the class and will be doing some land work to hone my skills. Thanks for the refresher Rich.

4. It's always entertaining to me to see people come in from other areas and get immersed in "cave country" and the culture around it. I find that culture unique in the world of diving and enjoy it quite a lot. The shops are different, the dive stories are different, and sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming. Sam and Donna took it all in stride, and it was great to see how much they took from the entire experience.

I'll be looking forward to a nice relaxing dive with them the next time they are down in cave country. :)

SPF! :daydreaming: I have to agree wholeheartedly with the advantages of taking this type of training with a well known dive buddy. Despite all the new info/drills, I definitely had a base level of comfort because I trusted Sam implicitly in the water. For better or worse, we knew each others habits and easily moved past personality quirks another dive buddy may have found frustrating.

Nice relaxing dive? Well, we should probably schedule our next shakeout dive with someone else before we meet up with you then :rofl3:

Hi Donna and Sam,

Glad you both had fun and safe dives. One of these days I'm going to make it down for some cavern training. Sounds like a blast, and the skills should transfer nicely to the kind of diving we do up here.

Happy diving,
Ari

Thanks Ari! LOL, I think we made it sound like more fun than it was :wink: Interesting comment on the transfer of skills . . . actually we are a bit worried that we will not be able to stay "cave ready" for our next visit there. Wreck is about the closest thing around here to practice some skills . . . and there is an unlimited amount of reel running practice that can be done at Dutch :D

What I've found over the last three years is that you CAN'T stay "cave sharp" out of a cave, but you can keep the individual skills honed. (You can tell the cave-trained divers in Puget Sound -- they swim under or through EVERYTHING.) But the first day of every cave diving trip, I feel like a bull in a china shop (so I schedule something very non-challenging for that day).

A trip to MX at Intro will be a blast -- You won't BELIEVE the miles of passageway that are accessible to you under Intro limits. When the cave averages 20 feet deep and has no flow, you get to see a lot -- and in fact, I turned a bunch of dives at the beginning because "my brain was full", rather than on gas.

We're running a "chick's trip" at the end of March . . . just saying.

What I've found over the last three years is that you CAN'T stay "cave sharp" out of a cave, but you can keep the individual skills honed. (You can tell the cave-trained divers in Puget Sound -- they swim under or through EVERYTHING.) But the first day of every cave diving trip, I feel like a bull in a china shop (so I schedule something very non-challenging for that day).

A trip to MX at Intro will be a blast -- You won't BELIEVE the miles of passageway that are accessible to you under Intro limits. When the cave averages 20 feet deep and has no flow, you get to see a lot -- and in fact, I turned a bunch of dives at the beginning because "my brain was full", rather than on gas.

We're running a "chick's trip" at the end of March . . . just saying.

wow and wow

GREAT report, ladies! Sounds like you accepted the challenge and came out better divers for it. I enjoyed reading your versions of the training, sounds like you made up the perfect buddy team.

And just in case you're interested, the Spring MegaDive will be held at Ginnie Springs the weekend of April 1, ijs...

Thanks everyone for the warm congrats here, in my PM box and in texts. Am feeling the SB community love! :kiss2:

Rich and Perrone aka Donna's SPF, we will be back in cave country to dive with you both.

Elena, good luck in your cavern class. From what I saw in our Catalina dive, you will rock the class.

Lynne, again thanks for your kind March offer but as stated in our PM we'll have to take a rain check and catch you another time.

Congratulations guys on your accomplishment and on a great experience. Very proud of both of you for going for it.

... and sorry for chiming in late - I lost track of this thread, "hidden" as it is in the scary cave section of SB.

Maybe some day ... but probably not :wink:

Henrik

Congratulations guys on your accomplishment and on a great experience. Very proud of both of you for going for it.

... and sorry for chiming in late - I lost track of this thread, "hidden" as it is in the scary cave section of SB.

Maybe some day ... but probably not :wink:

Henrik

:rofl3: It's okay, Henrik, I know you get the willies and break out in beads of sweat when it comes to "caves". We do have cookies, probably not as delicious as Melissa's but we do have them. :D

an honor?? :rofl3: many words come to mind but that is not one of them :wink:

I have done many dives with both of you and I think Perrone chose the best word. You both are great above and below the surface. Congratulations to both of you. The cave world is lucky to have you both.

Well, I'm sorry we won't rendezvous in March, but I will keep you guys posted as to future Mexico diving plans. I'd love to dive with the two of you!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom