Cleaning fins question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HilaryRN71

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. I wear Oceanic Vortex 12 splits with my drysuit. They have a matte type finish and they have gotten quite...skanky. I soaked them in a dive gear enzyme cleaner but they are still just cruddy...with saltwater/seascummy gooey yuck still encrusted on them. My Apollos Bio-fins are also black but never look gross, I just rinse them out and they are fine. Any tried and proven cleaning tips??? I've scrubbed them with a regular brush and the crud is resistant to that...I used an iron bristle (a fine one...not too rough) and it seems to work but I'm worried it might damage the rubber. Any tips appreciated!!! Thanks.

Try Simple Green and a brush.

Im glad I dive Jets!!

I actually have Jets also...they aren't my preferred fin but to each his own. (Love the color yellow tho) My husband wears them (in a manly grey) and swears they are the best...would never dive anything else. :) My Jets give me foot cramps. I still think my Apollo's are my favorite...esp. since the Vortex are turning out to be a pain to clean. I'm going to try the Simple green...that seems harmless enough.

Simple Green is awesome stuff - the ACME of cleaners. However, it barely takes the edge off. I just dive my vortex's grungy. The more you rough up the surface with hard bristles, the more stuff sticks to it. I soak and wipe the fins down so they're clean, but the whitish look on the surface will just have to stay. Kind of like mud on your 4x4 - show's you've been working.

do u rince your fins every time u dive with fresh water??

i dove w/ some fins for a while and before i wasnt wise enough to start rinsing them with every contact with salt water, they became grumby and brittle.

now, i have mares volo powers (the new ones) and i dont dare go on a dive without rinsing them, just because i spent way to much damn money :O

im not saying you dont, but IF you dont, RINSE YOUR GEAR!! it makes it last :D

Back
Top Bottom