Cleaning first stage DIN threads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Is it ok to use the product "CLR" to clean the threads on a first stage din? Is there a better option?

Thanks!
-Chris

Tamas:
Why do you need to clean it? What is on it?

It has a little salt or calcium or whatever that is on the threads and it doesn't screw on a easily as it did when I first got it. I'm super neurotic with my gear and I just like to keep it clean.

Thanks!
-Chris

CALI68:
It has a little salt or calcium or whatever that is on the threads and it doesn't screw on a easily as it did when I first got it. I'm super neurotic with my gear and I just like to keep it clean.

Thanks!
-Chris

Check to see if the CLR has any kind of harmful or fatal components.

Your best bet to clean up the threads would be an ultrasonic bath...you can buy your own or if you take it to a dive shop and have them do it.

Fairly simple to remove the tube and wheel with an Allen key then those can be cleaned on their own.

Cool. Thanks for the help!

-Chris

Hot water and some vinegar. Ivory Soap rinse with more hot water to rinse off the soap. I'd take the part out and remove the filter and o-ring before you do it; don't leave it on to get water and stuff into the first stage.

The ultrasonic bath can't remove salt and calcium stuff completely even with simple green. "Been there and Done that." You have to use the tooth brush too.

Edit: spelling error...

Soft toothbrush and simple green is my vote. Scrub with diluted simple green to remove deposits and rinse with fresh water and dry.

Like Jeff said - vinegar and water. In my experience, they work the best for the salt buildup.

-Bill

Thanks Guys! The Simple Green/toothbrush worked great.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom