Cleaning My Wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Any tips? I just got back from a trip to Cozumel and I want to clean my wetsuit real good. How do you clean yours after a dive trip?

Just warm water and normal human shampoo then dry it thoroughly before storage.

Of just a good warm water rinse. After a trip home sat water has undoubtedly crystallize so warm water will break that stuff up best.

Shampoo can help clean and impart a fragrance.

If the suit has developed a bio-load funk then you need an enzyme product like sink the stink to shut the science experiment down. The funk has a lot to do with what you dive in for water and what takes up residence in the rubber. I have gone a year with nothing but fresh water rinses.

Pete

I rinse the suits in fresh water, soak them, inside out in Woolite, rinse and hang dry, also inside out. Once dry, hang right side out till I'm ready to call them into service again.

I fill the tub with water and add one cap full of Woolite Dark (my suit is black). Mix it up in the water then with a washcloth scrub down the inside and outside of the suit and hang it up to dry inside out....once dry, turn them right side out. I've been told that Woolite is basically the same thing as Sink the Stink. Seems to work well...no one has commented on me being overly pungent :wink:

Now that I think about it. Why do we dry wetsuits inside out? I've always just been told to do it that way. Is it because if you're going to use them next day you'd rather have the inside dry to put on rather than wet?

Any tips? I just got back from a trip to Cozumel and I want to clean my wetsuit real good. How do you clean yours after a dive trip?

machine wash on gentle with a slight amount of liquid detergent(have used even a little Woolite in the past)..... hang over one of our shower doors & let air dry for a day or so---then ready for storage in my dive closet.....has worked for over 20 years......

For a seriously stinky wetsuit, I put it in the washing machine with a quarter cup of Lysol disinfectant. And I don't leave it wet in the truck for a week anymore.

Last edited:
There is also an antibacterial wetsuit wash available (you can use it inside your BC as well). I can't remember the name, maybe "500 PSI"? Just soak it in that mixed with warm water and hang to dry where there is good air circulation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom