Cleaning New Mask with Sea Buff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MCF

Registered
Reaction score
Got my new mask and a bottle of Sea Buff...is the best way to clean just to follow directions on bottle or is there a better/preferred way to clean a new mask? Thanks!

Got my new mask and a bottle of Sea Buff...is the best way to clean just to follow directions on bottle or is there a better/preferred way to clean a new mask? Thanks!

Yes, use toothpaste. A couple of rounds, and then rinse with hot water in between. Sea Buff? I bet 90% of their sales are to novice divers. It probably works too, but not as good as toothpaste...

I use an old toothbrush and persistence. Be sure to test your work so you don't risk spoiling your next dive.

Pete

I was told to use a little soft scrub to clean off the residual silicone from manufaturing.
It seems to work well for me. In between dives I clean the mask off with a little Dawn and then rinse. Toothpaste or softscrub are both mild abrasives.

Joe B

Another vote for toothpaste. You can pick up a travel size tube for change & it works as well as anything out there. It usually takes a couple applications & rinsings. I just bought a new mask that took me several days of doing this to get it clean. Be careful using household cleaners as they irritate your eyes.

Do you clean inside only or both inside and outside??

It's the inside that you need to be concerned with. That's where condensation (fogging) will occur.

Pete

Another vote for toothpaste. You can pick up a travel size tube for change & it works as well as anything out there. It usually takes a couple applications & rinsings. I just bought a new mask that took me several days of doing this to get it clean. Be careful using household cleaners as they irritate your eyes.

So will toothpaste if you don't rinse your mask well.

...and you want to use a paste toothpaste (not gel), right? (correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I have always used and always been told)

...and you want to use a paste toothpaste (not gel), right? (correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I have always used and always been told)

both the cleaner the scuba shop sold me and toothpaste (not gel) using my fingers on both inside and out...can put mask on and no fogging for a couple minutes without using any anti-fog...would you say it is clean??

Back
Top Bottom