Cleaning New Mask with Sea Buff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

both the cleaner the scuba shop sold me and toothpaste (not gel) using my fingers on both inside and out...can put mask on and no fogging for a couple minutes without using any anti-fog...would you say it is clean??

Toothpaste(non-gel), soft scrub or sea buff will all work just fine as cleaners.

After rinsing the mask follow the instructions in this link to test your work. I can almost guarantee that you will be going back several times to get it right. This beats the heck out of making a string of dives with spotty fog on your mask.

As for your question of "does wearing it for a few minutes prove it's clean", I'd have to say it's inconclusive. Without knowing the lens temperature and your perspiration output one cannot know what the potential to fog was. That's where the cold water and steamy breathing come in.

Pete

Toothpaste(non-gel), soft scrub or sea buff will all work just fine as cleaners.

After rinsing the mask follow the instructions in this link to test your work. I can almost guarantee that you will be going back several times to get it right. This beats the heck out of making a string of dives with spotty fog on your mask.

As for your question of "does wearing it for a few minutes prove it's clean", I'd have to say it's inconclusive. Without knowing the lens temperature and your perspiration output one cannot know what the potential to fog was. That's where the cold water and steamy breathing come in.

Pete

Did test and seems good to go....but being a crazy safety factor on top of safety factor on top of safety factor engineer, I will probably clean it about 10 more times before leaving next week.....

Back
Top Bottom