Cleaning push-buttons with ultrasound?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hidroj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hy to all Ikelite Housing owners!
I live in Spain and sending my housing to Indianapolis is always a bit time consuming and that's why I'm trying to find my own solutions to my problems (I've sent my housings several times back to the USA, and after servicing they did always come back in excellent conditions, we all know how efficient and professional Ikelite works, but don't suggest me to send the housing back because this is not the reason for this post).

Actually the push buttons of my Ikelite Housing are starting to get stuck. I took several of them out, soaked them in vinegar and they improved a bit. Actually I'm thinking to buy an ultrasound bath to clean them up at home. The question is which liquid I should use. I know there are prepared liquids to service regulators, but would that composition suit also Ikelite's push buttons? I've read a bit, and there are different acids mentioned, like phosphoric acid, nitric acid, even citric acid (lemonjuice) or acetic acid (vinegar).
Has anybody experience with such a cleaning system? And which %? Vinegars have probably not all the same degree of acidity. I've read comments which talk about not more than 30% vinegar when using ultrasound. I could get, of course, also pure acetic acid, but then I think it would be not more than 2 or 3%. Has anybody tried other options with other acids? I assume that water alone in a ultrasound bath won't help much. Is anybody out there with some experience in that area?
Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks a lot!

Here is the result. I finally dared to soak the push buttons in 2-3% acetic acid (+ 97-98% water) with a cheap ultrasound cleaner I recently bought (it costed about 40€) and this is how the push buttons look like after and before leaving them about 1min 30seconds inside the "bath". It is not perfect, but the feeling on the housing is that they work like when they were new. A reddish color has appeared at those places where the corrosion had started, but I really don't know if there's some product better then vinegar to do this job. If anybody knows, please, tell me.
Thanks a lot.

upload_2016-6-14_8-56-56.png

upload_2016-6-14_8-56-31.png

And a second example

upload_2016-6-14_9-3-4.png

upload_2016-6-14_8-56-31.png upload_2016-6-14_8-56-56.png upload_2016-6-14_9-3-4.png

Any reason why you didn't just clean the corrosion off with a little scotch-brite or something?

Hidroj,

At some point it would be advisable to send in your housing for a maintenance overhaul, having the badly corroded push buttons and push button o-rings replaced.

The best prevention for this type of corrosion is to always dip your closed housing in fresh water, and then vigorously depress and release all push buttons repeatedly to flush out any trapped saltwater after each dive.

You can send the housing to the Ikelite Service Dept. for a complete overhaul ($125). Replacement push buttons may be a slight additional cost. Turnaround time is approximately 2 weeks and we will contact you with an estimate before proceeding.

Ikelite Underwater Systems
Attn: Service Dept.
50 W. 33rd St.,
Indpls., In 46034

Best regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom