Cleaning Rust from a steal tank.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Specs are binary. Either the thread can hold the valve well or it can't. If it can't hold the valve at pressure, you'll see leaks of all kinds of severity. Place the tank under water, does it bubble from under o-ring?

It's so "pedestrian" to have to explain the fallacy of this... lol

This is dangerous nonsense. Do you happen to work for the OP's LDS?

You are on ignore. Sorry, it takes a lot, but you qualify.

For those who don't know, what Lowviz is referring to is the fact that O-ring valves are not sealed by the threads... they are sealed by the o-ring. Thread damage can not cause a leak, until the damage is so bad it fails... at which point the leak comes in the form of the valve exiting the tank. The threads are only serving to apply mechanical clamping pressure on the O-ring sealing surfaces (much like the latch on a go-pro waterproof case... the o-ring on the case provides the seal, the latch just keeps all the pieces in contact).

Respectfully,

James

Hey, if your gonna through them away, I’ll take them. Had a cylinder recently that took 4 days of tumbling. Shop rehydroed them and rust inhibitors flushed. Good as new now.

So, what you are saying is that under no circumstance that o-ring can leak?
The O-ring can leak, but it would be due to damage to sealing surfaces. For damaged threads to be the cause, the thread would have to so damage that they no longer hold the valve in place. If the O-ring land on the tank is smooth and clean, and the base of the valve is smooth and clean, the o-ring will seal those two surfaces to each other. If the threads are so damaged that they can't keep that contact constant... you have much bigger issues than a leaking o-ring.

Respectfully,

James

Yes, a sabot is a tank killer, penetrates armor on a direct hit due to its projectile, kills tanks just as a rust on scuba tank's threads. I was making a literary rhetorical technique called metaphor comparing the two. The sentence about the dust settling was another literary device called imagery. Explaining all this is so pedestrian.

What you said was "No, with a reference to a sabot I was making a word play between a scuba tank and a military vehicle. Please keep up." What you should should have said was that you were attempting to make a word play between a scuba tank and a type of ammunition. Because a sabot isn't a military vehicle of any sort. When you make a mistake, and then top it by saying something like "Please keep up" you're showing a combination of ignorance, arrogance, and rudeness. Then you follow that up with the disingenuous nonsense above? It must be bliss to be so oblivious that you could actually call other people pedestrian. Does your fedora still fit?

What you said was "No, with a reference to a sabot I was making a word play between a scuba tank and a military vehicle. Please keep up." What you should should have said was that you were attempting to make a word play between a scuba tank and a type of ammunition. Because a sabot isn't a military vehicle of any sort. When you make a mistake, and then top it by saying something like "Please keep up" you're showing a combination of ignorance, arrogance, and rudeness. Then you follow that up with the disingenuous nonsense above? It must be bliss to be so oblivious that you could actually call other people pedestrian. Does your fedora still fit?

>> What you should should have said was that you were attempting to make a word play between a scuba tank and a type of ammunition.

No I shouldn't because that would not be true.

>> you're showing a combination of ignorance, arrogance, and rudeness.

I'll take arrogance and rudeness. But how does ignorance come into the picture?

>> Because a sabot isn't a military vehicle of any sort.

It is true. But sabots are used to kill tanks. Not scuba tanks but military vehicles. You see? Like rust kills scuba tanks, sabots kill military tanks...

>> could actually call other people pedestrian

Could but I did not. I called the act of describing pedestrian. I think you lack reading comprehension skills.

>> Does your fedora still fit?

Granpa? Is that you?

this is getting stupid , tumble the dam tanks , the dive shop is wrong you HAVE to replace (unless AFTER tumble they dont meet specs ) so if theres another shop go to them , unless you keep going to the same shop as you did to get the rust in the first place .... it should be held to a minimum.....as others have said i think your lds is not telling you the truth . and for what its worth sabots can be shot from a shotgun NOT just armor ...............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom