Cleaning/Storing Drysuit for summer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lucid

Contributor
Reaction score
This past week the water temp in south florida has crept over 75 so its time to store the drysuit for the winter. I have a new CLx450 with Pee-valve and pockets.

What can I use to give the suit a good cleaning before storing?

Anything out of the ordinary that needs to be done?

Can I store the suit in the drysuit bag?

Thanks in advance =]

If you want, a soak in a gentle detergent like Woolite can be done. I use vinegar on mine for a final soak but I probably get into a lot nastier stuff than you do. Vinegar will even take out skunk pee.
Dry in the shade, the latex doesn't like sunlight. Take special care that the latex is cleaned of all oils (skin oil too) and rinsed verrry well. Soap + oil = rotted latex.
Finish off with a good dusting of unscented talc & stash in a cool place, away from petroleum fumes, or ozone sources like electric motors, electronic/electrical devices & gas hot water heaters.
A careful spritz of food grade silicone from a pump spray into your valves keeps them happy. Use no aerosols, and watch out for overspray.
It's OK to store non-neoprene suits in their bags. Stuff the whole drysuit & bag into a garbage bag or 2 so it stays airtight.
Don't pile anything on top of it.
If you have mice, a few handsfull of mothballs in between the bags should help. Don't put mothballs in direct contact with suit or storage bag.

Back
Top Bottom