cleaning up the coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Tomorrow is the International Coastal Cleanup day...anybody going out to clean up their local beaches and reefs?

I wanted to go to the GUE spsonsored event, but I got talked into painting my girlfriends grandparents house. :(

However, it is on a lake, so maybe I can clean up those beaches.

I'll post about the GUE clean up event when I get back form it on Monday.

That would be great! Thanks!!!!!!

Tomorrow is the International Coastal Cleanup day...anybody going out to clean up their local beaches and reefs?

I'm suffering from serious water withdrawal...I want to come help...but alas...New Mexico has no coastline. This is a strange place for a person with a diving addition to live. ARGGHH!! All of you have fun making the coastline clean...and get wet for me too.

But since my dive club is going diving tomorrow on the Oregon Coast, I'll suggest that we combine it with a clean-up. I always try to pick up garbage when I go diving, but maybe tomorrow I can get everyone else involved!

Well I spent the last 3 days down in Jensen Beach, Florida cleaning up about a one mile stretch of beach with GUE (www.gue.com). I had a great time! Actually we only cleaned on Saturday, which was the International Coastal Cleanup day. There was about 1200 people taking part in the cleanup in Martin County alone from all sorts of civic groups. Just our group collected a ton of trash. Ok well m,aybe not a ton, but it was a lot. The beach we cleaned was the "House of Refuge Beach". The House of Refuge is an old house that was used to house shipwreck sailors whose ships sank off the coast on the reef and rocks.

The highlight of the weekend for me was being able to just hang out in social situations with Jarrod J and George Irvine. They are both really nice. On Saturday night George spoke to us as a group. He answered any questions we had. We had questions ranging from deco, off gassing/on gassing, and recreatoinal DIR.

Just wanted to let ya'll know how my weekend was. And remember that we don't have to have a special day to clean up a shore line, whether its a quarry, lake, river, spring, or ocean. Even if you aren't the one that dropped the trash, it only takes a minute to pick it up and make things better for everyone.

I'm not sure how this happened, but even though International Coastal Cleanup day happened this past weekend, my beloved state of Oregon seems to be in a 1-week time warp, as the semi-annual "Great Oregon Beach Cleanup" is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 28th. (10am-1pm)

SOLV (formerly Stop Oregon Litter & Vandalism) has organized beach clean-ups all along the Oregon Coast from Washington to California, & will be providing bags to collect garbage.

If anyone is interested in participating, there's more info available at

www.solv.org

but I try to bring trash back with me whenever I see it. I think it makes a better habit than event, unless a garbage scow overturns or something and makes cleanup a priority problem.

Still, if it gets people to do it who wouldn't otherwise, it's a good idea. I just think it's too bad people feel they need a special reason to do it.

MSilvia once bubbled...
I think it makes a better habit than event

I agree!

Hopefully the events will help people become aware enough that it becomes a habit. Especially if you bring children out to participate, so they can develop the habit early in life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom