cleaning up the coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a good time! Wish I could have made it.

Well, here is my story:

Group of us organized a PADI Project Aware on 13 - 15 Sept 02, to clean up the shores of Pulau Aur, Malaysia. The group has about 91 participants, with about 2/3 divers, the others are non-divers.

We picked up a few basket full of Crown of Thorns, tyres, thick ropes and a golf ball (there is no golf course in that island). Did reef mapping and some leisure dives. The non-divers, called beach lovers, were tasked to clean up the beach. Cannot remember how many bags they have gotten this time.

Last year my beachlover group took in about 18 bags, and did a mini sight seeing trip on the side, lead by the local village kiddo. Naturally, for a 1st timer on such clear waters, I was amazed. Took lots of photos... Beautiful sights. Project Aware 2001 - me as a beach lover

It was also the spot and the same project that got me interested in diving. This year, I returned with 14 other friends and friends of friends (11 divers and 3 beach lovers)..... as a Stress & Rescue Diver cum team leader, with thanks to the previous year's participation and the friendly divers answering to my curiousity all day long.

=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom