Clear Mask Skirt Glare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PrISM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm getting set to pick up my first mask and I was wondering about glare with the clear skirts. Is it really that big of a problem to consider getting a black skirt? Also, does the clear skirt provide any additional field of vision?

I'm getting set to pick up my first mask and I was wondering about glare with the clear skirts. Is it really that big of a problem to consider getting a black skirt? Also, does the clear skirt provide any additional field of vision?

Clear skirt doesn't provide any extra field of vision. It does allow for some perception of motion/light off to the sides but you really can't "see" anything. I find it distracting. Most photographers prefer black skirt masks to eliminate glare and distraction.

Get a good, low-volume mask in black and you'll be fine. Personally I use and recommend the Atomic Frameless. Widest field of vision of any standard mask.

You can read my mini-review of this mask here:

Atomic Aquatics Frameless Mask at www.DiveSeekers.com

AA-framelessmask-3.jpg

you will have better vision and a nicer looking mask over time with black skirts...

Classic black skirt is the way to go. It'll never go out of style and not change colors into some sort of urine-yellow, as the clear ones will.

In addition to the ugly yellowing, I've also read that clear mask skirts are guaranteed to provide everybody in the immediate vicinity with a spectacular view of nasal mucus collecting in the wearer's nose pocket. :D

Just for the record, mask skirts don't only come in clear and black nowadays. At least a dozen traditional oval dive masks still in production around the world have blue skirts, for example the Mexican-made Escualo Cancun:
wpd5015e09.png

Visores

Black, low volume, and simple. You will find that not only are these better they tend to be less expensive. Dive Rite makes a good mask.

If you have a problem with glare then black is the way to go. Many people who have claustrophobia problems say that the clear skirt helps them feel a little better than black skirts. Personally I hate the glare so I wear black.

Plus, in low light situations black skirts ensure that all of the light entering the mask is available for seeing, no extraneous brightness from the sides to cause your pupils to contract.
Posted via Mobile Device

Black if at all possible.

So many good reasons, all you need to know is that almost everyone pretty much ends up with a black skirt mask if you remain a diver.

Chug

Back
Top Bottom