Clearing and blockage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krfoote

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can anyone recomend some steps to keep the eustachean tubes clear? I am able to clear most of the time, but occasionaly i jsut cant get it no matter what i do. From what i am reading the issue might be mucus or blockage is there a diet or anything that someone might recomend to keep this from happening.
I am new to the dive thing, but i am really excited to continue with it, this is my only issue right now.

Early and often.

I found that when I was little I had trouble on airplanes. Since I have been diving I never have problems any more with my ears.

So, what to do if you are having trouble?
- valsalva early - valsalva often - especially shallow - take it slow - don't force it - use gentle pressure. If you force a valsalva you could end up with a reverse squeeze on the way up - definitely don't want that!

I cannot express enough to take it slow and easy. If it takes you twice as long to get down, then that's ok - as long as you aren't harming yourself.

There are some who advocate taking decongestants prior to diving for people with ear issues - I DO NOT recommend this method.

Enjoy - dive safe.

easy technique that will help troubled ears (especially if it is only one ear):

while performing valsalva (gently blowing against pinched nostrils), lean your head from one side to the other. it will usually allow clearing to occur much easier. you can also use two fingers to pinch either side of the nostril (nose pocket) and alternate finger pressure while gently blowing your nose. i have found this to be the most effective technique for people that could otherwise not clear thier ears.

good luck and have fun blowing bubbles!

I don't think you have any biological ear problems, simply newbie ear problems.

Do these simple tests on the surface. Pinch your nose and swallow, or do a gentle Valsalva maneuver. If either of these are felt in your ears, your Eustachian tubes are fine, you just need to work on your technique.

Like most new divers you're probably descendng too fast and waiting too long to clear. Pressure changes very rapidly with depth so you have to begin clearing as soon as possible and not wait until you feel any pressure change. If you wait too long the comparative vacuum inside your ears and Eustachian tubes will cause the tubes to collapse making clearing more difficult bordering on the impossible.

You first begin to feel pressure after descending about 3 or 4 feet, but it's already too late for non-pressurizing techniques like swallowing or flexing your neck. At 9' or so you'll feel mild pain and even the Valsalva maneuver may work any more. If you find yourself struggling to equalize, go back up to your last depth, equalize and start descending again slower.

Follow the standard advice to clear early and often and equalize before feeling pressure differences, about every 2-3 feet of descent. If you can't equalize as fast as you descend, descend as slow as you can equalize.

Good luck.

At a depth change of about 4' you'll begin to feel the pressure but it's already unlikely that you'll be able to clear simply by

I'm going to get frowned upon for saying this.. but i've only heard good things. It's very against padi.

non drowsy sinus pills.. apparently works wonders.

Never tried, i avoid going out or even calling the dive if i even get a hint i wont be able to clear.

Here's my trick (it's a good one, get ready!):

Pre-pressurize your ears. It gives a new meaning to equalizing early....when I'm on my way to the dive site, I plug my nose and blow gently until I feel my ears pressurize. While I'm gearing up, I do it again. On my surface swim, I do it again. Just before I descend, I do it again....just after my head goes beneath the surface, I do it again. By that point, my eustacian tubes are ready to roll.

Before I started doing the pre-pressurization method, I'd spend 5+ minutes trying to get down to 30 feet, while everyone else just waited for me. Now that I've figured out my "trick", I haven't had any issues. I continue to equalize often on my descent, but it's not been an issue for me to get to depth in a reasonable amount of time in the last 50+ dives.

Early and often.

Exactly, start clearing more often, pretty soon you will be doing it without thinking about it.

if you cant clear, go up a few feet and try it again.
could also rotate your jaw around while holding your reg to your mouth.

that doesnt work.. call it.

You might get some benefit out of watching THIS video, made by a University of Washington clinician with a particular interest in diving. There's a lot of good information there.

Avoid anything can irritate your eustachian tubes, such as cigarette smoke

Stay hydrated so the natural secretions (snot) stays loose and runny, not thick and sticky.

Now there's a visual for you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom