Clearing Ears while freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crash526

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just started freediving a few months ago and have had some trouble equalizing my ears. I can scuba dive just fine, but for some reason I just can't equalize while freediving. Any thoughts as to why or suggestions for other methods to clear the ears???

shoot a pm to fdog - or look up his class report with performance freediving for thoughts. it sounded like an excellent experience!

you probably descend too quickly.
i had this problem when i started free-diving too.
since you have SCUBA experience you know how to equalize so ill skip that and give you some simple pointers:

1.keep your gaze only at the rope (forward). this relieves stress from neck muscles when you gaze at other directions (like the bottom) and provides the sinuses with a more normal way of flowing (its like equalizing while looking up- its harder) which can also increase your comfort and dive time.

2. wiggle your jaw- its helps somehow but i forgot the full explanation....

3.equalize while pressing your neck down (at the direction of your chest).

4. slow down your descention rate: it will make the pressure transitions milder and also keep you from tiring yourself, thus increasing your time underwater.

i hope i managed to help and i hope you wont give up on the wonderful world of breath-hold diving just because of that :)

Relaxation is your key.... Try going feet first (even in a swimming pool) and see what you are doing, don't use your chest to equalise.. all movement should be in the throat and upwards.

Good Luck
MIG
:eek:)

Back
Top Bottom