Clearly, I lack a brain sometimes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hitdbeach

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I post this in the hopes it helps someone new. This happened a while ago and I am still embarrassed by it today.
We were shore diving in Hawaii. A site I had dove multiple times before with a DM. My buddy had not dove there before, and he was a less experienced diver than me. I think I had 50 something dives at the time. When we arrived, the weather was not the greatest. A little storm had blown in bringing rain and some chop. We stood and looked over the site and didn't feel great about conditions, but as it was the last opportunity to dive during this vacation, we decided to go ahead. 1st mistake. We entered the water planning on a backwards c pattern roughly following the coast line. The same thing I had done multiple times with a local DM. The water here is shallow, 30 ft max, most at about 20ft. We'd go out to the end of the c and look around for a while till one of us hit 1500 psi then return. As I was familiar with the terrain, I didn't set my compass. 2nd mistake. So out we go, dive was eehh. With the chop that had kicked up and no sun, visibility was not the best. But we carried on. Third mistake. So now my buddy signals he's at 1500 so we start the return. We swim on for a while and things are not looking familiar anymore, the visibility hampering things. I signal to him that we'll go up and look around. I'm now at 1500 and he's nearing 900. When we surface we get a little surprise....we're a full par 4 maybe 5 off shore and now the weather has turned really chitty. Driving rain and heavy chop. At this point my buddy starts to panic, his legs start cramping and says he can't swim back in. I make sure he's filled his bc and talk him off the ledge a bit. I figured we swam out, we can certainly swim in. I hoped there were no un noticed currents. We sit and chill a minute, I give him the flag buoy to hang on to, I grab the back of his bc and we slowly start our return laying on our backs and kicking in together. After we get within a couple hundred yards of shore, he's doing better now and he decides he'll roll over and use his snorkel and swim in. So I put my reg back in and follow. Just after this, something wraps around my fin....a long piece of yellow nylon line. Really...can anything else happen? I reach down to de tangle and pull in the line. There was like 50 foot of it. Now I look up and buddy is nowhere to be found. Buddy separation, 4th mistake. I continue in when I see him 200 yards out and 100 or so yards south of the exit point. He sees me and we finally make it out.... whew! So I listed what I think are the 4 big things I screwed up but I could probably add several more like, over confidence in ability, lack of dive planning, lack of knowing the area, (thank God we didn't have currents), helping to put a new diver in a really bad spot...and probably a bunch of others you guys will point out.
So anyway...dumb, really dumb. Been chewing my own ass for over a year now. My takeaway is that will never happen again, and it pushed me right into navigation class. All the things discussed on SB are so true. The compounding of mistakes is very real. Don't be a dummy like me that day.

One of my golden rules of diving "if conditions cause me to ponder for very long, thumb the dive." I think it now may become one of yours.

Hey you got back safe and unharmed so you didn't do EVERYTHING wrong. Every dive is a learning experience as you are learning.

It sound to me like you got yourself into a bad situation, and then did many things very right, so that we got to read about it. And had any one of several things gone better at the beginning, it wouldn't even have been much of a story. Had you navigated better, the bad conditions would have been an annoyance. Had the weather not deteriorated, the bad navigation would have been nothing more than a nuisance.

It's good to be conservative as a diver, but if you never do anything that stretches your comfort zone, you never learn what you are capable of doing. I know I have learned far more from the dives that didn't go as planned than the hundreds that were purely routine. You learned a lot from this one -- not only about skills you needed, and better judgment, but you learned that you keep your head about you when you are stressed, and solve problems calmly. That's a great thing to know, and a great quality to have.

Although you are still beating yourself up over this, is is good that you shared the experience so that others might learn from it. It sounds like you have learned from it and have become a better and safer diver because of it. Thanks for sharing with us.

What site was this?

Why? Maybe you saw him? :wink:

Thank you for sharing your experience!! It is always good to read things like this because we can always learn from others experiences! It sounds like you did do several things right so it is not all bad!! Thank heavens for good outcomes!!

Thanks for sharing.
My personal motto is, If my dive buddy ask me what I think about conditions, I say lets get breakfast. If you go to a dive site and watch the water for 20 minutes and have any doubts, concerns, questions, reservation, hesitancy etc, then skip the dive. I don't care if you flew from New York to Fiji and this was the only day to dive, if you have any concerns, then don't dive. Never make your dive decision based on cost or lack of available days/time to dive another day. Your feeling pinched for time or money does not make marginal or unsafe conditions better. Cheaper to skip the dive and enjoy shore based activity and live to dive another day than to die trying to dive.

You made it back so the outcome was better than the alternative... This is the type of dive that you learn a lot of lessons all in one. Usually divers will learn one or two in a dive. You took the compressed version of hard knocks diving lessons. In all honesty, I'm sure we've all made the mistakes you made on that dive, but each mistake compounded the others that day. The one mistake I think you should ponder most is the first one... going diving yet not feeling great about the conditions. If anything, that's the one I would try to not to do again. Glad everything came out ok and that you posted it for all of us to learn from. I'm sure you're a better diver from it already!

I think that "it was the last dive of the vacation" can fog your clear thinking. It almost happened to me. Place: Onna Point, Okinawa, JP.
Certs: AWO with maybe 50 dives each of us
My dive buddy was heading back to the states and we were going to get "one last dive in." The entire coast was starting to go off with wave action. There were some sufers already in the water. We were still looking at the water and "reasoning" that we could do the dive. After a few to 30 minutes an older diver came driving by in a van covered with dive stickers. He asked us if we were planning on diving here and have we dived here before. We said yes and no. He just stated that the going out will be fun but getting back in will be heck to pay....it is not worth it! He drove on and we left and went to a another dive site and had a great time. He more than likely saved our bacon that day. I left that day with new knowledge...if you have to think about doing the dive or not for more than 10 minutes...then walk away.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/divemasterking2000/176818557/in/photostream/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom