Question climbing ladder with big housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm really choosy about when I take my camera out. If I'm not familiar with the boat and crew, I won't bring it. If conditions are questionable, I won't bring it. I don't take many risks when it comes to my camera.

If I found myself in an unexpected situation where a storm moved in and roughed up the seas, I'd do what I always do, hand my camera up first. I carry my camera in a soft cooler, and I make sure the crew knows to put my camera there after I hand it up. I don't want my camera in the boat's camera bin where other cameras are tossed in.
I would need a pretty big cooler but I hear what you're saying

When diving from a commercial vessel I take a minute to explain to the deck hands the manner in which to handle my camera. I make certain to let them know to keep the glass port facing away from the boat when handing the rig off to me and when recovering it.

When diving off of my own boat I deploy a line specifically dedicated to my camera. I attach the camera rig via a large clip while on the deck, then lower the rig over the side before I enter. The camera waits about 20’ below the surface After I splash, I retrieve it before descending further. At the end of the dive I simply clip the rig back on the line, climb aboard, and retrieve the camera.

I would need a pretty big cooler but I hear what you're saying
Here in South Florida photographers have been using soft sided coolers for about a decade now to stow their cameras. They take up about the same amount of space as the rigs themselves, prevent the cameras from sliding around a slippery deck in rough seas, keep them from banging into other items, and also serve as rinse tanks after the dives. This is particularly nice in that you get to soak you valuable rig in clean water and avoid communal rinse tanks that may have already been used to rinse masks with de-fog, booties, wetsuits, mucus laden regulators, and various other unpleasant articles.

Here in South Florida photographers have been using soft sided coolers for about a decade now to stow their cameras. They take up about the same amount of space as the rigs themselves, prevent the cameras from sliding around a slippery deck in rough seas, keep them from banging into other items, and also serve as rinse tanks after the dives. This is particularly nice in that you get to soak you valuable rig in clean water and avoid communal rinse tanks that may have already been used to rinse masks with de-fog, booties, wetsuits, mucus laden regulators, and various other unpleasant articles.

Can you give links or pictures of these soft sided coolers please?

I sometimes jump in with the camera. I discuss beforehand with the crew where and how to grab and to place my camera when boarding and generally they comply. I always go in and come out with the dome/lens covered.

I approach the ladder, the crew takes the camera by the lanyard and then I swing around and come up the ladder. I remove my fins once on the ladder. I do not play that silly game of taking my fins off and hanging on a tag line getting kicked in the face, others can do that but I just go get on the boat, either first or last. Being first or last, the deck crew can usually pay attention to your camera more than in the middle of recovering a bunch of kicking an thrashing divers with their fins on their arms or flailing about on the ladder. If I am going to be last I just hang out at about 10 feet until my turn and the mayhem subsides.

Padded cooler bags that fit my entire rig are available at Sam's Club for like $5, this one has been in use for about three years including a trip to the Red Sea.

Sams Club bag folds down flat and goes in my dive bag, usually last on top.

Can you give links or pictures of these soft sided coolers please?
The one I could find with a quick search that I could link to is from Reef Photo. Because they are a photo shop, their price is much higher than you could expect to pay were you to look elsewhere. I don't know if you care to use Amazon or if they deliver to Libya, but I imagine that they offer a variety of choices. I know that Yeti makes them, but I think that their prices are obscenely high.

The one I could find with a quick search that I could link to is from Reef Photo. Because they are a photo shop, their price is much higher than you could expect to pay were you to look elsewhere. I don't know if you care to use Amazon or if they deliver to Libya, but I imagine that they offer a variety of choices. I know that Yeti makes them, but I think that their prices are obscenely high.

Thank you!

the AO site and the AO store on Amazon sell it for a little less.

On boats I always could pass on my camera, but I have loops through the tray grips so I can clip the camera to my shoulder d-ring(s) with doubleenders if needed, also useful to keep the arms free for shore entries/exit. If I really would have to climb unassisted onto a boat and can't have it clipped on the chest I might clip it off to my butt d-rings. Still, would prefer to hand it to a buddy or even secure the camera to the deck before I climb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom