Climbing to high altitude after diving - HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noangel72

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am diving at low depth, 10-20 meters, single day multiple recreational dives (max 3); I am also planning on going mountaneering soon after, where I will be exposed to altitudes of 4100 meters over a period of 2 days. How long should I wait between my last dive and going to altitudes? I have searched the web but I can only find info on flying commercial after diving, in which case a 24hr rest time is advised. Does the same lenght of time applies to land altitudes?

Thank you.

4100 meters is about 13500 feet or so. A plane I believe, it pressurized to 8000 feet. So you'd be climbing well past the same "altitude" as if you were to ride in a plane at 30 000 feet. So it seems to me a 24 hour wait would be prudent, at least in my logic anyway.

Hi Noangel72,

Given a plan for strenuous exercise climbing to very significant altitude soon after multiple dives, a wait of 24 hours would be prudent.

Regards,

DocVikingo

24hrs seems reasonable to me as well. I just read on the web that for altitudes over 8000feet 48hrs is reccomended....this seems excessive! 24hrs appears to be the most popular advise....does anybody has a definitive answer?....or has first hand experience?....Padi table adds 2 groups every 1000feet but there aren't enough groups on the table when climbing 13000 feet....:11doh:

Thank you.

Hi Noangel72,

I can quite guarantee you that nobody has a definitive answer.

The truth is, we simply do not know about situations such as the one described; educated guesses are all that can be offered at present. As such, while erring on the side of conservatism arguably has merit, let's consider the scenario as presented:

1. "I am diving at low depth, 10-20 meters, single day multiple recreational dives (max 3)." [NOTE: Dive times, surface intervals, gasses, etc., are not specified.]

Given this plan, residual nitrogen at the end of that diving day could be substantial. Shorter and shallower dives, longer safety stops and surface intervals, and using nitrox all will lessen inert gas loading.

2. "I am also planning on going mountaneering soon after, where I will be exposed to altitudes of 4100 meters over a period of 2 days." [NOTE: "soon" not further specified; mountaineering plan not further specified].

Off-gassing will continue in the interim. The longer the interval between the last dive and commencement of mountaineering, the lower the remaining excess nitrogen. As an aside, guidelines regarding strenuous activity following SCUBA suggest that the interval be at least 4-6 hours.

Moreover, the ascent from dive level altitude to 4,100 meters will not be rapid. It will be a gradual process, requiring many hours and perhaps even an overnight. Controlled inert gas off-loading will be occurring during this time.

Based on the information provided, a wait of 24 hours continues to appear prudent.

Helpful?

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Taking into account that in the airplanes standard air pressure is approximately around 2000 meters above the see level and you should have 24h break between diving and flying, so 4000 meters goes for this rule as well.
As DocV said - I would wait minimum 24 hours

Mania

24hrs seems reasonable to me as well. I just read on the web that for altitudes over 8000feet 48hrs is reccomended....this seems excessive!
24 hours should be fine, provided the starting point for your mountaineering is 2400 meters or less.

Saying pretty much the same as Doc Vikingo, but in different words: There is a difference between immediately going to 4100m and the more likely situation of you going to some sort of starting point at intermediate altitude and then doing a further, slow ascent.

Going first to a base camp for a while, and then ascending further the next day is the sort of ascent profile is more akin to a staged decompression profile where you go to your first deco stop, hang around a while, and then ascend to your next stop.

Dive...then 24hrs rest...then I am spending 1st afternoon and night at base camp 2000meters, second night at 3200meters and third day summit 4100meters and back to base camp same day!

I am wondering if Nitrogen release is going to affect at all my exposure to altitude sickness....I know they are two different processes....but not sure anyway what to expect!.....I do not expect fatigue to be much of a problem as I am very fit!

Has anybody dived in Palau Tiga (Malaysia)? I read it's beautiful and it would be my first time for reef diving....

Thank you.

Hi,

I am diving at low depth, 10-20 meters, single day multiple recreational dives (max 3); I am also planning on going mountaneering soon after, where I will be exposed to altitudes of 4100 meters over a period of 2 days. How long should I wait between my last dive and going to altitudes? I have searched the web but I can only find info on flying commercial after diving, in which case a 24hr rest time is advised. Does the same lenght of time applies to land altitudes?

Thank you.

I am not sure where you live, but if it is flat land, I would suggest waiting two or three days.

H.A.S. comes on with headaches, nausea, vomiting, unable to sleep or rest, feet, hands neck swelling. The American Heart Ass. reccomends to avoid strenous activtiy for two or three days. Drink LOTS of water (stay away from coffee, pop, tea and booze). If you are over 35, see a doctor and let him know that you will be climbing in high altitudes. You WONT be able to acclimatize in a day if you are a flat lander. Remember that H.A.S. is from the lack of oxygen and with a RTN build up from diving, it is going to make your acclimatization much more difficult. Hopefully you are working a treadmill on a 12 percent incline DAILY, and that you are carrrying at least 40 pounds on your back once a week while walking the treadmill. I would also check into a insurance policy in case you do get sick andyou have to be casevac out. A lot of countries wont take insurance cards. If you are taking a guided tour on the climb, be sure to call the guide service and let them know that you are diving before the climb so that the guide(s) know more of your history. Have fun on your trip.

If I interpret this correctly by the time you actually get to a significant altitude (2000m) it will close to 40+ hours since your diving.

e.g.

Day 1 Dive until 4pm (i.e. out of the water)
Day 2 Rest day
Day 3 Start hiking 10am to 2000m

If this is your plan you will probably have given yourself enough time after a single day of diving.

If your plan is
Day 1 Dive until 2pm (i.e. out of the water)
Day 2 Start hiking 2pm to 2000m

Well then you will be at 24 hours and will still probably be okay for a single day of shallow dives. By the time you get going higher the next day it will be 40 hours.

Probably the best thing to ward off the affects of diving and the climbing is to drink lots and drink some more.

And as ND says if you are a living at sea level you will probably find the altitude more of a problem unless you are very active. I bet your night at 3200m will suck with some of the symptoms ND has described. A pounding head ache and loss of appetite. We see this with folks coming here to ski. Many think they are having a heart attack. I am lucky in that I live at 1500m and regularly ski and climb above 3000m.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom