Climbing to high altitude after diving - HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Noangle72:

Short Answer

I would recommend a wait of at least 12 hours before climbing.

Real Answer

= Assuming that you are not immediately ascending post dive on a cog railway, there will definitely be an interval between the dive and and climb. This interval is not given in your initial posting - but a later one states 24 hours.

= Little is said in the posting about the depths and dive durations and, thus gas load calculations are not possible. :confused: Altitude Tables do not go to that altitude anyway (NOAA stops at 9,000 feet).

= No dive/fly table describes the conditions under which the table should be used. The “palace secret” is that all of these NOAA [and US Navy] calculations use the Haldane [critical supersaturation] method. This means that tissue micronuclei are not accounted for [or even considered] in the algorithm. Post dive activity is important [see later below].

= Tissue micronuclei are virtually unconsidered in current diving information; DAN virtually never mentions them. [It does not consider them in dive/fly studies. Richard Vann PHD at Duke University [where DAN is located] does consider them when performing decompression work for NASA. He and I developed the test protocols a decade ago.] Skin Diver magazine never posits nuclei generation as a cause for DCS problems – with the exception of some articles by John Francis.] They are mentioned all of the time by me on this FORUM. :)

= Tissue nuclei play some role in all post dive scenarios. Dissolved nitrogen will be eliminated in a fashion that can be calculated [not really, but it works more or less]. When the nitrogen enters into microbubbles [generated by musculoskeletal active – exercise], then the partial pressure fall to the ambient [surrounding] pressure and the gradient for elimination is virtually gone. Thus, not expending energy lugging gear will reduce the propensity to nuclei formation/growth. Slow down and let time pass- as you appear to be doing. :coffee: [This is all cover in my Decompression Physiology class, but that will not help you today.]

= If you generate these tissue nuclei and then begin an ascent within a few hours, you could be very disappointed in the final result. :shakehead: A very slow ascent would be more prudent – and with a surface interval of 12 hours.

This answer is the best I can provide without more time - and a big chalk board! Altitude Sickness is another story [but not SCUBA related].

Dr Deco :doctor:

I haven't read the entire thread, but the possibility of heavy exertion should increase the chances of a DCS hit based on my humble knowledge. At times in the past I've been concerned due to the exertion of carrying all my dive gear (some 125# or more) up a steep hill (only a 200 ft rise from the dive site) to my house with a hand cart.

I haven't read the entire thread, but the possibility of heavy exertion should increase the chances of a DCS hit based on my humble knowledge. At times in the past I've been concerned due to the exertion of carrying all my dive gear (some 125# or more) up a steep hill (only a 200 ft rise from the dive site) to my house with a hand cart.

I agree with you drbill. DAN suggestes waiting 12-24 hours before fly (reaching altitude) but DCS can be brought on by heavy exertion which can be encountered on a mountaineering climb. Also, just because someones excercises and are in excellent shape, doesnt mean that he/she is able to handle H.A.S. better. High Altitude Sickness is now being looked at being actually more of a genetic base instead of predisposing factors.

Dr Deco,

I can actually reschedule my diving plan to allow for a full 48hrs rest time before arriving at camp base at 1800meters where I will stay overnight! This way, it would be a full 60hrs before I start climbing to higher altitudes....based on your suggestion this seems an extremely safe surface interval....am I correct?

I do triathlon, so I consider myself fairly fit...however the tissue nuclei, energy and rest time argument makes sense.....thank you.

Hello noangel72:

That wait would definitely do the job with respect to offgassing.

Laboratory evidence definitely demonstrates that physical activity is detrimental with respect to DCS. This has been demonstrated since the early 1940’s. Various explanations have been proposed. The short-lived micronuclei hypothesis is mine, however.

Physical fitness is not related to micronuclei but is probably more related to tissue perfusion (= capillary density).

Dr Deco :doctor:

Thanks to all for the advices!:)

I was a rock climber and alpinist before getting into diving. Based on my knowledge now, and what info you've provided, a 24 hour rest period after your last dive before you begin the ascent seems appropriate. Keep in mind that not only will this be good from a residual nitrogen perspective, but it is also smart to rest the day before a major ascent. 4km is pretty significant for most people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom