Clips, Retractors, etc. for staying Streamlined

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tdallen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a fairly new diver and I like to stay streamlined when I dive. There seem to be an overwhelming array of clips, clasps, lanyards, retractors, etc. available. But many would leave equipment dangling all over you...

I know the first challenge is don't bring a bunch of unnecessary gear with you. But I find a flashlight useful on most dives and I'd like to have it easily available (about 5.5", 7oz dry). But a standard flashlight retractor is over 5" long on top of the flashlight, so you're dragging a 1' dangly. Instead of that I've been keeping my flashlight on a lanyard and tucking it into my cummerbund when not in use but that's not a great solution.

Do any of you more experienced divers have a way of rigging a small flashlight (or other commonly used piece of gear) so that it snugs up against your BCD when not in use, but is conveniently available when needed?

Thanks.

Primary (cannister) is on my hand with a soft Goodman handle.
Most of my backup lights are held with a bolt snap attached to the light and clipped to a d-ring. The head is then held by a piece of bicycle tubing on the harness, or in a pocket on my thigh.
How to attach a bolt snap How to Attach a Snap | Dive Gear Express®
Not my rig, but configured similar
Eclipse20MC_0005.jpg

Edited as I forgot to mention primary

Last edited:
Your flashlight belongs in your hand. It's just as important for maintaining buddy contact as it is for illumination. No need to look at your buddy over your shoulder if his light beam and yours are "talking to each other". I'll write more on that if you like.

Google "soft goodman handle". It'll hold the light on the back of your hand where it belongs.

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

read up

Flashlights have a clip on the end and stay clipped off and stowed on the strap if they aren't intended to be used. I use a goodman glove as mentioned above if I want to use one as a primary, or just hold it in my hand if I just need to poke around.

Very difficult to properly stow things on most jacket bc's due to d-rings in the wrong places and the way they are designed

Thanks for the links, I'll start looking. I like the ideas above for rigging a backup light.

I have a Goodman handle for night or low visibility diving. It seems like overkill for the type of high visibility warm water rec diving that I tend to do, though. My preference in warm, bright water (admittedly under-informed by much experience) would be to have my primary dive light tethered and immediately available but not constantly mounted or powered on like it would be in a Goodman handle. In those conditions I only use it for looking along a wall or under rocks, or signalling a dive party member.

I have a Goodman handle for night or low visibility diving. It seems like overkill for the type of high visibility warm water rec diving that I tend to do, though. My preference in warm, bright water (admittedly under-informed by much experience) would be to have my primary dive light tethered and immediately available but not constantly mounted or powered on like it would be in a Goodman handle. In those conditions I only use it for looking along a wall or under rocks, or signalling a dive party member.

For just carrying a small light in case the need arises to look into crevices or whatever during the day, I would use a bolt snap and bungee or inner tube ring as others have advised. Needless to say, if your BC has a pocket, you could stow a small light in the pocket.

The simplest way, (and in many instances the hardest with single strap harness) is to thread the web thru the inner tube

Thanks for the links, I'll start looking. I like the ideas above for rigging a backup light.

Suspect that once you realize that the only way to see color on the reefs is to use a light continuously that you'll change your mind. I use a good light on 100% of even recreational level dives both in the tropics and in places like Catalina in shallow water and see far more animals (under ledges) and far more color (everyplace) than divers who aren't using a light. Try it for a trip and tell me what you think. I don't even notice the light on the back of my hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom