close call after regulator overhaul

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sheik_Yahboudi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The problem started after a great boat dive with some Saudi friends in the Red Sea near Jeddah.

A boat helper took my last tank off and left my reg without the 1st stage seal on while we piled through 3 foot seas in a small boat. I noticed the 1st stage unsealed upon arrival so I just assumed seawater had entered the 1st stage.

I decided to drop off the reg off for an overhaul and clean at a local shop. (reg is an APEX)

Next week I picked it up before a shore dive with friends.

Mistake #1 - I looked the reg over quickly and it looked fine.

Mistake #2 - I attached it to the tank and opened the valve and all my hoses worked fine.

Bottoms up and went diving with my friends and had a blast - only one dive that day for other reasons.

Mistake # 3 - Although I kept getting water in my mouthpiece I just assumed it was from a loose mouthpiece - wrong.

A week later when I went to pack my gear again my eye was caught by an o ring on my regulator hose at the 1st stage connection. Upon closer inspection I realized with shock that both my regulator hoses were only screwed on by 2 turns of threads and not put back properly or even sealed because the O ring was just loose and hanging.

When I looked after picking up the regulator the plastic coverings that are at the hose joint near the 1st stage were over top of the actual connections and so I missed seeing that they weren't connected properly.

Lesson - Don't dive after a regulator overhaul until you do a thorough inspection including the actual 1st connections to see they are threaded fully and sealed.

I inspected the 1st stage and did see evidence of flooding and so I phoned the dive shop.

They were very apologetic and took full responsibility. They assured me they would take more care in future and I returned the reg to get a proper overhaul again.

Note - I thoroughly inspected it after the 2nd overhaul and I am back diving happily. And I carry a Spare Air pony bottle too.

A pool checkout after service can identify problems before they ruin your dive trip. My LDS has a pool and encourages its use.

Looses hoses should not result in wet breathing so you still have the symptom of a possibly serious problem with no explanation. You need to do a vacuum test and see if the problem remains. If it is still leaking, you need to fix that.

Yes, loose hoses result in gas leaks, but since the air going into the hose is above ambient pressure by something in the neighborhood of 140 psi, there should be no water intrusion.

So how many recreational divers carry a pony tank? Doesn't a buddy system compensate for most problems if done correctly?

With the inlet to the first stage sealed try and suck air from the second stage. If you can something is wrong.
First thing to check would be the second stage diaphragm. Apeks had a problem with these distorting with age. That causes them to leak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom