Close Call At Surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boljakool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The dive site: Beatrice in Anilao, the Philippines

This dive site is known for stong currents but with a rich and colorful marine life. There were 6 of us in the group and it was the first time for most of us to dive here. The dive was quite a challenge, we did experience the currents coming from everywhere...upward, downward, left & right, and the dive was going along fine as it was planned.

The current even steadied a bit when we were doing our safety stop. The only problem we had was that my balloon got lost from my bc upon entry and descent. It was probably removed due to the strong current that we encountered. We proceeded to do the safety stop and decided that we'll have to surface without a balloon. When the signal to surface was given, 3 of us went ahead with the usual slow ascent with one arm on the inflator and the other extented upwards. I was about 5-6 feet below the first 2 to surface, and from underwater we can see that the surface was calm and clear. Then out of nowhere, I heard a fast approaching outrigger boat (they're called banca here in our country) coming our way! We knew we were either going to be hit by the hull or the bamboo stabilizers of the banca. I looked to my left and saw that only 2-3 feet from my face was the boat's hull passing by and it was indeed going fast that in less than 2 seconds in saw the propellers!!! I ducked to my right, trying to protect my head and face from getting grinded. Next thing I knew, I was on the water surface hearing my dive buddies screaming and cursing. The banca that almost killed us was already about 30 meters away and the people on board were signalling if we were alright. We were just glad that nobody got hurt.

When we got to our own boat, our crew told us that they even warned the passing boat that there are divers below that are about to surface. And still, they did not bother to slow down. When the first diver hit surface, the first thing she saw facing her was the front of the boat. She went below the surface, curled herself into a ball and just waited to get hit. My buddy who was on her right was shocked to see the fast moving boat passing us like a train. From below, the other divers in our group thought that we were actually hit. I am so thankful that we came out of the water safe. We proceeded with our surface interval sharing the story.

The lessons:
(1) ALWAYS remember to secure everything before and upon entering the water.
(2) Make sure to use a balloon when surfacing from an open water dive site. There were no bouy markers on this one.
(3) There should be more that one balloon in a dive group.
(4) When you are the one on a boat, ALWAYS remember to slow down when passing through a known dive site. Watch out for any signs like bubbles, flags, nearby boats that are parked or anything that would be on your path.

What else do you think could have been done to avoid close calls like this?

Dive safe!

How close to your boat were you surfacing?

The only thing I can think of besides what you mentioned is the distance from your boat. If the boat was flying the proper flag, and you were within a reasonable distance from it when you surfaced (say 20-30ft), then I don't think there's anything you can do as long as there's still idiots in the world.

Dave

boljakool:
(3) There should be more that one balloon in a dive group.
I personally think that EVERYONE should carry their own safety sausage. If someone gets separated then they still need to surface alone - so they need a sausage. Was this a DOR !V dive?

My favorite style of post.

This is a big issue and is so often underappreciated. Ironic that you post this today as a swimmer near Diamond Head is in critical after being hit by an outrigger.

I think you pretty much covered it. I will not dive without my marker. The other day, a sailboat with a large keel went right over our group of divers. Sailboats are silent...

I think it is a very constructive thing to post these things, especially the preventative measures.

Also, whenever I can, I will tell people why I like a marker, etc. New divers are very eager to know what they need and SMB is not emphasized nearly enough.

I will guess that about 20% of the divers (including divers on drifts!) that I see carry markers.

Good of you to share the love and be an advocate!

Davetul:
How close to your boat were you surfacing?

The only thing I can think of besides what you mentioned is the distance from your boat. If the boat was flying the proper flag, and you were within a reasonable distance from it when you surfaced (say 20-30ft), then I don't think there's anything you can do as long as there's still idiots in the world.

Dave

We were within 20-30feet from our boat.

Glad to here that your group made it out OK.

In a fit of paranoia, I just bought a few more surface markers. I think that every diver should have one and practice using it.

I had a hairy dive once where I forgot the spool to my marker and then lost the boat while doing deco. I didn't know if there was a surface current or not and I was afraid that I was drifting away.

Kim:
I personally think that EVERYONE should carry their own safety sausage. If someone gets separated then they still need to surface alone - so they need a sausage. Was this a DOR !V dive?

We were on a separate dive from the DOR. But this was on the same Saturday of the DOR IV.

Very few people boating appear to know/see our dive flags. Waikiki has a lot of recreational boat traffic and it's amazing. Usually everyone will scream at them and then they look stunned, surprised, etc. Not really reckless on purpose, just rather oblivious.

If a boat chooses to come within 30 feet of a dive boat I just don't know what would stop them. I know in Minnesota we have a 100' slow-no-wake law which requires a boat within 100' of anything (dock, boat, shore, dive flag, etc) to go no faster than idling speed. Either they weren't observant enough to see the dive flag on the boat or they just didn't care. Either way, I don't see how a SMB or dive flag towed by a diver would make a difference.

Now, a potato cannon or one of those less-lethal shotguns that shoots beanbags? that might get the point across.

Minnesota - unfortunately this is the Philippines.

My DAN SMB is on route to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom