Close Call; Glad I could write this incident report.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you Denny for sharing your incident. I know telling it publicly can be very difficult. You are one of my closest dive buddies. I am so grateful that everything turned out ok. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

The body is a difficult thing to predict. So often the incidents we experience while scuba diving are difficult to diagnose to a perfect root cause. You can be perfectly fine on one dive, do the same dive again and your body can react differently. Although the experts may not be able to tell you what was the triggering event or root cause, I would recommend you reach out to the contact mentioned above (Richard Moon at Duke University) to see if he has any insight. Everything I have read has stated that there is no clear indicator of what causes an IPE.

Whenever you are ready to get back in the water, let me know. I would be happy to be by your side on that dive.

I used to have asthma... been there, done that with the whole "drowning in your own lung fluid" experience.

At the same time, I'm so glad it disappeared when I got older. I guess I outgrew it.

I think it's important to note that once you were out of the water you started to feel better....not sure if that's the case with others who have experienced IPE. You might want to share that info with doctors, particularly Dr. Moon. I know that in cases of HAPE (high altitude pulmonary edema) the affected person improves if he/she can move or be moved to a lower altitude.

Denny I can not say how good it was to hear your voice today!
I am certain that the same service you have offered for years as a public safety diver you are sharing your story to help others.
I am proud to call you friend and look forward to seeing you soon.
When you are ready name the time and place, I will be there.

CamG

Heading to my cardiologist on Mon.; He is not a diver, so I don't think this visit is going to be pretty. I'm going to try to get off Atenolol; I hate that pill; it does funny thing to me and I can't help believe it didn't have SOMETHING to do with my IPE hit. I started taking it last June and haven't felt "right" since. If you're interested, google that drug and see what it does. I'm going to contact DAN again and ask their feelings of that drug as a possible contribution. It slows the heart and keeps it slow even under elevated physical activity. Without the pill, I can get my heart rate up to 150-155 during a cardio workout and feel good endurance and strength; with the pill, the best I could do was 114 and I really get tired. Go figure. If I learn anything of importance to you as divers, I will post.

Reactions: Jax
Without the pill, I can get my heart rate up to 150-155 during a cardio workout and feel good endurance and strength; with the pill, the best I could do was 114 and I really get tired. Go figure.

I'm not a doctor but as far as I know this is the normal working of a beta-blocker. They are intended to slow down heart rate in order to avoid overworking it.... (kind of what the speed limiter does on a car, I guess... you can press down on the accelerator as hard as you want and it just won't go any faster....)

I thought this particular drug was more often used to treat high blood pressure than a heart condition.... maybe there is an alternative drug that could do whatever it is you're getting from the Atenolol but without the same side effects..... just a thought. remember, I said I'm not a doctor.

R..

Beta blockers have been discussed as a possible risk factor in IPE. I don't think there is anything authoritative on it.

Any links to the Beta Blocker studies or sources?
I am on a very slight dose as well but would be really interested in knowing more about the possible link with IPE.
I am a cave diver / deep diver who would rather pass on any problems!

CamG

He got to me literally just in time. I saw an arm reach out to me and I grabbed on and was hauled to the ladder. They un-geared me and helped me up to the platform and onto the boat. I was semi-consciense at this time. As soon as I sat down on the bench, things started to clear up, but I was still having a hard time breathing: I could feel and hear every breath. I got a hit of I Immersion Pulmonary Edema and never saw it coming.

Thank you so much for sharing your story!!!!

Back
Top Bottom