close call on a small boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reeldive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This was on local TV and in the "Panama City News Hearld" Last Week. I didn't see it on SB so thought I would post it. We had a small craft advisory in effect, and I heard, They anchored stern first. Bing typicall steel slingers, your dive budy only has to be in the same ocean, Also no one was on board durring the dive. There might be a lesson in here some where

"Three Local Men Rescued After 22 Hours in the Gulf Waters Six Miles South of Panama City

They went out looking for an adventure, and they sure got one.
Three local men are "drying out" after a real life and death struggle in the Gulf.
Bela Kovacs and two other dive buddies, Robert Darvai, and Randy Wright spent some 22 hours floating in the Gulf of Mexico after their boat was swamped Wednesday by high waves.
Kovas surfaced from his last dive a little after noon Wednesday. He saw the two other men scooping water from the boat, but it was too late.
Kovas cut some ropes to tie over the boat to hang on to until they were picked up, but around 8 Thursday morning the men say the waves were too high, washing them off the boat.
They cut their ties and started to swim to shore. Two hours later a Coast Guard plane spotted them, and they were scooped out of the Gulf.
The men were still six miles offshore when the Coast Guard picked them up. The Coast Guard says without their wet suits the men probably would not have survived."

The worse the conditions, the more you have to dress for "What if...."

My reason for bringing this to the attention of SB was to point out that this whole thing could have been avoided with just a little common sense seaman-ship. Their exposure suits did in fact save them and minimize what could have had a rather tragic ending but when we line up enough risks that only one more thing could have ended in tragedy, then we might have pushed the envelope a bit too far.

They caused their own " WHAT IF"

Sharks are cool and -- and -- tasty!

reeldive:
They cut their ties and started to swim to shore.

That would be rule #1, violated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom