Close Encounter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only time I've seen a bull while spearfishing, it was there and gone before the pucker factor kicked in. He was chased away by a pair of jewfish fighting to get to a gag. We did recover the gag, too. :)

If a shark wants your fish, for GOd's sake, GIVE IT TO HIM!

In Belize, I watched a guy fight with a blacktip over a snapper he had speared. That's all I could think of. The kid got nipped on the arm, too. He came up with the snapper.

I wonder if he is still alive?

Bull shark?
Here's my write-up of an encounter back in the summer of '01.
Rick

SueMermaid:
If a shark wants your fish, for GOd's sake, GIVE IT TO HIM!

In Belize, I watched a guy fight with a blacktip over a snapper he had speared. That's all I could think of. The kid got nipped on the arm, too. He came up with the snapper.

I wonder if he is still alive?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread but....

Actually there are two school of thoughts:

1. Give it to them and go your way.
2. Don't give it to them and fight it out.

I am with the 2nd school of thought. The problem with give it to them is that:

1. Now you are conditioned them to come in as soon as someone got a fish. They will get more and more aggressive since they know they will get their ways.

2. If you are the first one that shot, and there are a bunch of other spearos (assuming other spearos are on scuba), you have just created a feeding frenzy with all the blood and thrashing if you gave up your catchs. That will attrack more sharks and will create a hazadous environment for other spearos who have not awared of what's going on.

3. Heck, they can get their lunch the way we, spearos, get ours, so I don't want to give my lunch on my sweat and tear :). Yes, yes, we are in their environment but hey, I work hard for my fish. They can go and chase their own lunchs :wink:.

4. Give them a couple of shoves. Next time they will know that free lunch ain't that easy to come by and they will go somewhere else for it.

my 2 cents.

htn123:
Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread but....

Actually there are two school of thoughts:

1. Give it to them and go your way.
2. Don't give it to them and fight it out.

I am with the 2nd school of thought. The problem with give it to them is that:

1. Now you are conditioned them to come in as soon as someone got a fish. They will get more and more aggressive since they know they will get their ways.

2. If you are the first one that shot, and there are a bunch of other spearos (assuming other spearos are on scuba), you have just created a feeding frenzy with all the blood and thrashing if you gave up your catchs. That will attrack more sharks and will create a hazadous environment for other spearos who have not awared of what's going on.

3. Heck, they can get their lunch the way we, spearos, get ours, so I don't want to give my lunch on my sweat and tear :). Yes, yes, we are in their environment but hey, I work hard for my fish. They can go and chase their own lunchs :wink:.

4. Give them a couple of shoves. Next time they will know that free lunch ain't that easy to come by and they will go somewhere else for it.

my 2 cents.
There are sharks, and then there are Bull sharks. When the pectorals go down on a Bull shark you don't want to be anywhere near what he's after.
Trust me on this one.
Love,
Uncle Ricky

Rick Murchison:
There are sharks, and then there are Bull sharks. When the pectorals go down on a Bull shark you don't want to be anywhere near what he's after.
Trust me on this one.
Love,
Uncle Ricky

heheheheh, I hear ya. That's why after got chased by 'em two, I carried my power heads everytime we go spearfishing :).

I would agree with don't give up the fish until you have to. IMO, it's safer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom