Close Focus Macro with EPL2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used the E-PL1 and E-PL2 with the 14-42 zoom and it does a good job close-up but the Panasonic 45 macro is much sharper and works very well with the ReefNet +5 & +10 close-up lenses. I am working on a review of the Nauticam NA-EPL2 housing and shot these with the Pany 45mm and Nauticam macro port for that lens.

Images 1,2 and 4 with the ReefNet +10 diopter.

Phil Rudin

Nice shots! I especially like #2.
Have you ever tried the Zuiko 35mm macro? At half the price of the Leica 45mm I am wondering if produces good results.

Cardog, the 35mm macro is a very nice lens for a $200.00 new macro. I have used it many time with my E-3 DSLR. But at F/3.5 it is slower than the 50 macro on a DSLR and would be even slower on any mirrorless camera. It also requires you to get closer to the subject, e.g. dome port to subject. Any space between the lens and port glass will further reduce the distance between the port glass and subject. If you add a +5 to +10 diopter the gap between subject and port glass is reduced even further to the point where it is almost useless.

Olympus is also saying they will release a 50 macro for the Pen series, they also said they would release a 100 macro for the DSLR's six years ago and I am still waiting. If I were going to add a lens adapter and a lens I would go for somthing longer ever if I needed to have a gear made and shoot in manual focus. This is an issue of you get what you pay for and I agree that the Pany 45 is a bit steep but so ares the Canon/Nikon 100/105 offerings for DSLR's. Add the custom port which in most cases is required to get the lens as close to the port glass and it is an investment for quality macro.

P.S. if you go for the 35macro I have one is like new for sale. !40.00 shipped in the US.

Phil Rudin

I shot this pic of a spot prawn last night using my Dyron +7 and the 14-42 kit lens.

Attachments

• PA271184-1.jpg
    PA271184-1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 268
delete

Last edited:
I shot this pic of a spot prawn last night using my Dyron +7 and the 14-42 kit lens.

What port are you using for that shot?
How much cropping for this photo?

Is the dyron a wet mount or a 37mm directly attached to the lense?

Thanks.

What port are you using for that shot?
How much cropping for this photo?

Is the dyron a wet mount or a 37mm directly attached to the lense?

Thanks.
It's with the kit lens so I'm using the stock port. The Dyron is a screw on wet diopter.

Attachments

• PA271184.jpg
    PA271184.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 183
JetLife,

Lets have some photos!!! I'm looking at a dual Z240 setup - so would be interested in the results!

Does the Zen flat port allow access to the switch limiting minimum focus distance or allow you to manual focus? Does one need a focus/zoom ring to use with the housing? Is manual focus even possible? I have read that the autofocus can be rather slow at the macro end.
I'm using the standard port with the kit lens. There is no way to use manual focus other than rocking the camera back and forth after you have already achieved focus using the af in the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom