Close Focus Macro with EPL2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also use the pany 45 mm and have the zen flat port. It is a fantastic combo

Does the Zen flat port allow access to the switch limiting minimum focus distance or allow you to manual focus? Does one need a focus/zoom ring to use with the housing? Is manual focus even possible? I have read that the autofocus can be rather slow at the macro end.

Does the Zen flat port allow access to the switch limiting minimum focus distance or allow you to manual focus? Does one need a focus/zoom ring to use with the housing? Is manual focus even possible? I have read that the autofocus can be rather slow at the macro end.

No focus ring is presently available, but Ryan at Reef said they have prototyped one and may release it if there is demand and if time allows. He also said most people don't seem to need it. YMMV. It may be possible to jury rig something.

You do not have access to the limit switch. I think the lack of access to the switch is bearable. Offhand I regard MF in macro as fairly important, but maybe I am wrong. I don't regard these as fatal flaws, just things to deal with.

The INON MRS 50 system for the E system 50mm macro lens has a magnetically coupled ring which I thought was very clever. Another user, SailRockDiver, is using this E system 50mm F2 macro lens on a pen with excellent results (see his posts). It is a bit bulky and requires the lens converter (MMF 1 or 2, or Pany DMW-MA1), mount adapter (from Athena, FANTIC?) and INON MRS 50 macro port. For me this extra bulk/cost is hard to justify in my mind when the 45mm macro in ZEN port is so very well matched to M43 bodies. But you do get MF.

Focus is slower on the 45mm lens if you allow full range. Focus speed is sped up if you have plenty of light, either near the surface or using a dedicated focus light deeper, so I recommend a good focus light like the Sola 600.

I do like the 14-42 II lens for close up work. It is surprisingly good. But at the long end, 42mm, where I would likely be shooting macro, it has a 13 inch minimum working distance, compared to the 6 inch working distance of the 45mm lens. The net effect is that the 45mm lens allows 1:1 magnification, while the 14-42 II lens allows .19x magnification.

Worse, the 14-42mm lens is much slower at the long end, F5.6 versus constant F2.8. This will affect focus speed and picture quality by forcing higher ISO.

So the 45mm lens is vastly better for just macro. You give up the ability to zoom and are limited to long or macro shots for the whole dive. Whether it is worth the extra cost for the lens and macro port is an individual decision. It is for me.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom