Closest diving to Philly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveCoolidge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My life in the city of brotherly love happened before I turned to scuba. Consequently, I've never really looked into diving seriously in this area. Being as I am back stateside for a while and absolutely itching to blow some bubbles I thought I'd better find out. I've been told some of the world's best wreck diving happens off the Jersey Coast (allegedly).

So whats close and good?

Prior wreck diving experience is all on the ss president coolidge (some 50 odd dives). Being as I'm used to warm water, and my last dive would have been in mid september 06, I'd need to ease back into it.

It has been a long time since I dove the Jersey coast, but one of my favorites was the Great Isaac. A sea going tug in 60fsw. 20 years ago it was still in tact (but back then the Texas Tower was still partially standing) There use to be a number of charter boats out of Barnegate that hit the southern wrecks. Most of what is there has been blown apart but you never know what goodies you might find! Good Luck!

If you want to ease into it I would recommend doing a couple of quarry dives to warm up to Jersey. Dutch springs is only about an hour away from Phila. It is a great training facility. You don't say where you are in your training so far, only that you have done some warm water wrecks. Most operaters around here want you to be AOW as a minnimum and also to carry a pony in the ocean for redundancy.

Hey thanks for the responses. In answer to your question, I'm rescue diver certified and have a wreck specialty and enriched air specialty tickets. So certification isnt an issue, I'm just not used to the cold water, and limited vis in Jersey, so I dont wanna jump straight onto a dive that after a being narced I wont even remember.

DiveCoolidge:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I'm just not used to the cold water, and limited vis in Jersey, so I dont wanna jump straight onto a dive that after a being narced I wont even remember.
Echoing pir8, head up to dutch springs in Bethlehem and get a couple (few) dives in there to see how ya handle the cold and low vis. If your not divn' dry, you'll need either a 7mm full or farmerjohn. <100fsw Jersey divn's fun and not really as difficult as you might think, but it won't hurt ya to get some practice in. YMMV

NJ Wreck diving Rocks !!!! Plenty of charters to the Reef.. Lots of wrecks in the shallow end (70 -90 ft) of the pool.. Let any area dive shop or boat know you are new to NJ diving & they'll point you in the right direction. Most boats start regular charters in May.. Dutch springs will get the winter cob webs out.. but doesn't compare to ocean diving.. In terms of equipment.. redundant air supply a must.. a pony, or doubles, or a stage bottle.. Most boats don't like split fins.. 7 ml or a dry suit a must.. If you don't own a 7 ml suit, you might want to rent, or find a used one.. for a while.. because if you find you like NJ diving.. you're going to want a dry suit. A strong light.. a wreck reel.. helpful for navigation in poor vis.. remember you will need more weight.. Enjoy !!

Feel free to join us on "The Big Gypsy" out of Brielle this summer. Check out the calendar on the website (link in sig) and you'll see that several shops run "Intro to NJ Wreck Diving" trips which are nice, easy wrecks that will get you into the swing of things.

If I'm on the boat one of the days you come out I'll be happy to dive with you!

Ray

I dive from Long Island and we share many of the same wrecks. Diving in Wreck Valley is great. Many real wrecks plus the artificial reefs. Here is a web site that will point a bunch of the out for you.
http://njscuba.net/sites/index.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom