CME time??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
hey all~~
i was wondering if there were any docs/PAs here who claim their continuing medical education hours via diving medicine??

i need 15 more hours of CMEs.....was hoping i could get the RESCUE DIVER COURSE count as category 2 cme...

anyone???
thanks,
-d. park

Hi DD,
I've taken many CME courses over the years in places where I could do the diving I wanted to do, but also get the CME hours (and occasionally when I'm lucky) get the rare CME reimbursement from my employer. I never tried to get CME reimbursement for my Rescue course because I knew in advance from my employer that they wouldn't reimburse or credit me for any course work that wasn't at least AMA approved. Usually if it's AMA approved, it's also approved by some other of the associations like AAFP or ACEP.
BUT, the main reason I'm writing to you is to see if you're aware of any CME's in diving locales. I'm always interested in hearing from docs/PA's/NP's who've attended good dive/CME's.
I tried to start a thread some time ago specifically on this point, but no one responded. One of my favorite dive-doc groups was disbanded a few years ago when one of its owners died. This was also very sad for us from a personal standpoint because we really liked the couple who owned and ran that group, and thought of them as good friends. They ran first class programs on relevant primary care topics in some really primo places. Their programs were great fun and I miss the days that we travelled with them.
There are still a few companies out there I'm aware of who provide similar programs, but the conferences are few and far between. This fiscal year especially seems to have slim pickings.
So, that's a very roundabout way of responding back to your Rescue course inquiry, but I thought I'd post this back to you and see what the fates might bring.
Good luck.
Betsy

I can't imagine that a rescue course would count as cme.

However, the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) offers courses that are ACEP, AMA, and AAFP cat 1 approved.

http://www.uhms.org/

Thanks, Betsy and Stephen....

Yeah, i thought it might be a stretch....i was thinking i could get it covered with CATEGORY 2 units......we'll see...

Have you guys ever been to the DAN CME Conference in BONAIRE?! Is it ALWAYS in BONAIRE??? I sure hope so! there is one coming up this OCT....but i can't make it....will try to go next year! any takers??

-dan

Hey Dan,
In 1998 I went to the Dive Medicine conference in Bonaire run by Fred and Sandy Bove thru Temple university. He does a lot of DAN related conferences. I was also in Bonaire in 2003 with Helen Davis' group. Her group will be going to Bonaire this Feb, 2006 and the topic is also "Dive Medicine". I don't have a web page handy for Fred Bove but he's a "standard" in the dive medicine industry and it would be fairly easy to find out about anything he might be doing. Helen Davis' website is www.medsem.com.
Her Feb 2006 course gives 22 CME hours with both ACEP and AAFP. Let me know if you hear of any other courses, especially any in any Primary care topics.
Good luck,
Betsy

I've done several of Helen Davis's courses and I've always enjoyed them. Helen also really takes care of the attendees and makes all aspects of the week (meetings, diving, meals, travel, activities, etc) absolutley effortless for everyone.

I have to admit I am a little biased, however, as I'm on faculty for the Bonaire February course that Helen and course director Paul Sheffield have put together. Biases aside, I think it will be an outstanding program. Everyone is welcome! Contact Helen Davis through www.medsem.com

Hey

If you're interested, we at the hyperbaric and dive medicine dept at Long Beach Memorial Medical center in LB, CA are giving a dive medicine conference in April. It'll be on the liveaboard "Nautilus Explorer" and will be seven days in Soccoro in Cabo, MX. We're planning for about 20 category 1 CME. Besides our faculty at long beach, we will also have Jeff Bozanic, a very accomplished diver, researcher, and published author. We're finalizing the curriculum now, but it should be interesting.

Drbabar

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom