Cobalt 1 inaccurate temperature indication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, that is not good news. The temperature comes from the depth sensor, and having it be off by a huge amount indicates a problem with the sensor. I'm sending you a PM with some more diagnostic information.

Ron

Mine is also 3-4 degrees off from everyone's dive computer. It would be nice if there was an option in the firmware to allow you to compensate for the offset. *hint, hint* :)

Yes, just being a few degrees warmer is a common, but not universal experience, and doesn’t indicate any problem with the sensor. I think it’s because of the fairly massive case being warmed by hands, or because of heat generated from the backlighting on the Cobalt 2- that would be dependent on the intensity that you have the display lighting set for. Because the temperature is used internally by the depth sensor for calibration, we want it to read accurately what the sensor temperature is- and every one of these we have checked in a controlled situation has been quite accurate, within a degree or two after waiting long enough to stabilize. But there may still be some variation between the sensor temperature and that of the water, because of how isolated the sensor is physically in the case. How much might depend on the environment and settings. The idea of putting in some kind of calibration offset for the displayed temperature is interesting, and might t be a good solution to the problem. Thanks.

-Ron

The idea of putting in some kind of calibration offset for the displayed temperature is interesting, and might t be a good solution to the problem.

Ron, since you're at least open to suggestions (and I understand that you're *not* making any formal commitments around deliver these specific features either), it would be nice to have a volume control on the unit. While I understand the reasoning to have it on full volume since it's not always the easiest thing to hear when you have a full hood on, in the case of warm water diving, it can be really loud and distracting during a shallow dive (going in and out of the safety stop zone (10-20') during the dive.) It would be nice to have an option for half volume (even if you're reluctant to completely disable the alert for safety reasons.)

I use my Cobalt 2 for both warm and cold water, and having the half (or lower) volume setting for when I'm in the Caribbean would be really great. Thanks.

When we came out with the Cobalt 1 one of the complaints was that the alert sounds were too soft, particularly with a cold water hood. We changed the Cobalt 2 design to allow alerts/ alarms to be louder- I guess that worked, as we now have some of the opposite comments. The ability to adjust alarm volume, as will as the ability to turn off audible alarms completely, is something that is on our firmware road map. Thanks, it does help to get feedback, and does influence what we get to first.

-Ron

I have always noticed around a 2 degree difference between my Cobalt and Oceanic computers, Atomic is always 2 degree's warmer. I prefer the water to be warmer so I always go off of my cobalt :)

Ron,

Again, thank you for your help last week. It was greatly appreciated.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom