Cobalt 2 Charge Adapter Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The USB and AC connections on the charge adapter are very fragile. They are not supported on the circuit board in anyway except solder. I am on my third adapter and the AC port came loose just now. These adapters are very spendy and are getting harder to find. My temporary solution will be to remove the 3 pins from the AC side of the board and glue them into 1/2 of the adapter case, then solder the wall wart cable directly to the ends of the pins and fill with silicone or something. Won't be good for travel, but will work in a pinch at home. My question is, for someone who is in the know, it appears that the data pin next to the negative pin is connected to the negative? Just want to be sure before I ruin a computer. Thanks in advance.

Could not agree more about that adapter- it needed some kind of reenforcement or strain relief to be durable. It's way too easy to lever the connector up off the PCB when you have a cable connected. I think Atomic at one point started putting in some glue to provide some extra strength, but I'm not 100% sure.

Your plan should work. You are correct, the third pin (USB ID) is connected to ground, that's what tells the internal charger that this is an A/C adapter. When connected via the USB side it's left floating and the charging rate is limited- and of course the data pins are connected as well.

-Ron

Thank you so much for the verification. It is working like a champ. I really love a this computer, so easy to use. Hated that is was discontinued. Would love to have seen a hoseless wrist version of it.

Attachments

• PXL_20240518_004848043.jpg
    PXL_20240518_004848043.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 18
Thank you so much for the verification. It is working like a champ. I really love a this computer, so easy to use. Hated that is was discontinued. Would love to have seen a hoseless wrist version of it.
Well, we are prototyping that now- it's slow going as an independent effort, but we are still plugging away. We are incorporating many lessons learned from the original Cobalt.

-Ron

Well, we are prototyping that now- it's slow going as an independent effort, but we are still plugging away. We are incorporating many lessons learned from the original Cobalt.

-Ron
That's nice to hear. Independent effort. Sounds expensive. Any crowdfunding opportunities?

-Ron

Keep everone in the loop. My Cobalts were my favorite computers I’ve ever used. I’ll jump on a new one.

That's nice to hear. Independent effort. Sounds expensive. Any crowdfunding opportunities?
We decided early on that going the crowdfunding route would put too much pressure on us in the wrong places. We don't want to over promise. We didn't want to feel we were letting people down and were not sure how long the project would take us, given our limited resources (mostly the issue is time). Some life events created big delays, so that turned out to be the right call. But we would really like to have our work of the last several years get out there. We think we have made significant improvement to the Cobalt. We will be posting here as we get closer to any kind of release.

Thanks of the words of support!

Ron

We decided early on that going the crowdfunding route would put too much pressure on us in the wrong places. We don't want to over promise. We didn't want to feel we were letting people down and were not sure how long the project would take us, given our limited resources (mostly the issue is time). Some life events created big delays, so that turned out to be the right call. But we would really like to have our work of the last several years get out there. We think we have made significant improvement to the Cobalt. We will be posting here as we get closer to any kind of release.

Thanks of the words of support!

Ron

Proposed algorithm?

Proposed algorithm?
We have had that part implemented a long while now. We have kept RGBM, both fully iterative and folded depending on depth, but have added Buhlmann and given the diver the ability to switch between algorithms and compare. Buhlmann and RGBM use different tissue groups, but we track all of them.
Anticipating the next question, we're using a different processor in the new computer, so it's not possible (well, not feasible) for us to create a version of this firmware to run on existing Cobalts.

Ron

Keep everone in the loop. My Cobalts were my favorite computers I’ve ever used. I’ll jump on a new one.
I agree, best dive computer EVER! I LOVE my Cobalt II. Thankfully, it is still working :) Someone mentioned crowdsourcing. Do it to get the funds needed to buy the 'Cobalt' name and design and bring Cobalt dive computers back!! Someone mentioned a wrist version. I know some people prefer having the computer on the wrist, but I like it connected with a hose to the regulator as is. So if you are successful at bringing the Cobalt back, make both versions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom