Cobalt 2 Charge Adapter Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, best dive computer EVER! I LOVE my Cobalt II. Thankfully, it is still working :) Someone mentioned crowdsourcing. Do it to get the funds needed to buy the 'Cobalt' name and design and bring Cobalt dive computers back!! Someone mentioned a wrist version. I know some people prefer having the computer on the wrist, but I like it connected with a hose to the regulator as is. So if you are successful at bringing the Cobalt back, make both versions.
Ron, I was going to DM you, but when I tried it said I needed to make 5 public posts first...so Instead I will put my message here.

What I'd love to see is a video on how to replace my Cobalt II battery. Mine is still currently working, but I realize at some point it will be at its end of life. I wouldn't mind getting another hose too, just in case I ever need to change the original one. Feel free to DM me. Thx!

I agree, best dive computer EVER! I LOVE my Cobalt II. Thankfully, it is still working :) Someone mentioned crowdsourcing. Do it to get the funds needed to buy the 'Cobalt' name and design and bring Cobalt dive computers back!! Someone mentioned a wrist version. I know some people prefer having the computer on the wrist, but I like it connected with a hose to the regulator as is. So if you are successful at bringing the Cobalt back, make both versions.
Thanks for your positive comments- they are very much appreciated.

The Cobalt was an independently developed design that we eventually licensed to Atomic back in 2007, so there is no need to buy back anything, we have ownership of the design for the firmware, electronics, and user interface. We're user interface nerds, and wanted to make a computer that was easy to use and didn't require constant reference to a manual. That is harder to engineer than you would think. What Atomic did was primarily to design and build the case and mechanical components. In any case, that agreement has long ago expired, and Atomic's new owners, Huish Outdoors, were not interested in furthering the Cobalt design.

I doubt we would keep the Cobalt name- we gave that to Atomic, and while your Cobalt experience has been positive, I think there were enough people who experienced problems with leaks or other issues that the name is not an unalloyed positive.

I appreciate your comments about the console design. I do want to be able to offer a console version of our new design with updated sensors and electronics, ideally a means for existing Cobalt users to "up-cycle" some components into a new product. Our design is more compact, but keeps the same size screen and the same basic four button interface.

Keep checking, and I will post news as we get closer.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom