Cobalt Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Divetech Cayman

I'm hoping that Cobalt Coast, Nova, and Divetech will offer a package deal for accommodations, meals, and diving similar to what was offered by the previous iteration of Cobalt Coast.

I understand there was damage to Lighthouse Point and perhaps to the dock at Cobalt Coast from the recent storrm. How are you doing?
Exactly like cgills said - the dive shop, resort, and bar/restaurant at Cobalt Coast are now all separate entities. We have a great working relationship between the 3 businesses, but the booking process needs to be done separately. We're flexible with dates and have some great dive packages available so once rooms are booked we can get dives and courses scheduled in!

And overall we've been so lucky with the crazy norwester that hit last week. It completely destroyed Lighthouse Point - you can see some pictures of the damages on our Facebook page. The damage was so extensive that sadly our dive site is closed there for the foreseeable future until we're able to get some major repairs done.

But on a positive note, our main Cobalt Coast location fared much better with just some damage to the lower gear setup area. Our staff, boats, and compressors all made it safely through so we're thankfully able to operate as usual!

Hi @Divetech Cayman

The remote location of Cobalt Coast is both a blessing and a curse. It is very quiet, away from the hustle and bustle of Seven Mile Beach. On the other hand, it is more remote from the eating establishments in West Bay and SMB.

On our two previous visits to Cobalt Coast in 2007 and 2008, we really enjoyed the leisurely breakfasts before the morning dives with Divetech and the good lunch before afternoon shore dives or an additional two tanker with another operator. Nova does not serve breakfast. We always rented a car and enjoyed a couple of dinners away from the resort. Perhaps there are more good eating establishments now, closer to Cobalt Coast.

I understand that Cobalt Coast, Nova, and Divetech are all separate businesses. Still, I can't help from thinking that a combined package might make staying there more attractive and more competitive. Divers will vote with their pocketbooks. We'll all see.

I agree with you, Scubadada. The previous attraction of Cobalt was AI, competitive pricing and all the shore diving you wanted. Separate accommodation, diving and having to hunt for food does not appeal.

If I ever go back to GC, I think I will probably stay at Living the Dream's beautiful new condos near NW Point and dive with them as well. If I was looking for a good budget package, I would also consider Compass Point at East End.

Hi @Doctorfish

I agree with you too. I have been to Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers twice and think quite highly of it. It's on my short list for a return visit. Piqued my interest in the reopening of Cobalt Coast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom