Cobalt firmware updates 2.42 and 1.62 now available on Atomic's website

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Mike,

Glad the update went well. We alternate the time and temperature display because there actually isn’t room for both to coexist- originally we had just water temperature, however enough users requested a time of day option that we included it alternating with temperature. The problem comes up with triple digit depths/ max depths, particularly with the compass on. There isn’t room for both unless we make the fonts much smaller, which doesn’t seem to be a good idea. We have, however, considered giving users the option of selecting one or the other or both alternating. Let us know what you think of that option.

Ron

Hi Mike,

Glad the update went well. We alternate the time and temperature display because there actually isn’t room for both to coexist- originally we had just water temperature, however enough users requested a time of day option that we included it alternating with temperature. The problem comes up with triple digit depths/ max depths, particularly with the compass on. There isn’t room for both unless we make the fonts much smaller, which doesn’t seem to be a good idea. We have, however, considered giving users the option of selecting one or the other or both alternating. Let us know what you think of that option.

Ron

Thanks for the fast reply! Yes, that is a great idea. I look forward to seeing it in a future update.

Mike

Ron-

Congratulations on an amazing upgrade! The new firmware has been working great for me. Although, I'd really like to see 2 features implemented that I previously suggested:

1. Water temperature offset. It's seems like the majority of our units tend to display a higher temperature than reality due to the internal case temperature. It would be awesome if there was a way to set an offset to correct this. (i.e +/- a certain number of degrees.)
2. Alarm volume control. While I know in cold water it's tough to hear the alarms with a hood on, in warm water it's almost annoying and everyone in the dive group can hear it (not saying that's a bad thing though.) It would be really *nice* to have a low, medium, high volume control setting to minimize distractions.

Thanks and as always, I'd be willing to test any changes you have proposed in the pipeline (including providing feedback.)

Regards,
Eric

Eric,
All good ideas, the volume control is on our list for a future update, as well as the ability to turn off audible alarms completely.
-Ron

will try it this weekend

firmware loaded flawlessly. the temp idea is a good one, we now subtract 4 degrees and it is accurate

Hi Ron,

I'm getting ready for my annual trek to Belize and thought I'd check in to see if there were any updates since last summer for my Cobalt 1. Thanks for the info. I just updated both mine and my wife's computers so we're good to go.

Anything I should expect besides the zoomed out countdown counters?

Still loving our Cobalts, btw. Visiting this thread made me think back to when the Cobalt was first released and you were so helpful in answering the many, many questions. Remember the flak you got because Atomic didn't release a cover for the Cobalt? Ha ha, good times.

I see the temperature readings and audible alarms issues are still ongoing. Some things never change. :cool:

Hi Ron. I just purchased a Cobalt 2. Have not gotten it wet yet, but after setting it up and running through the menus I will have to echo the feedback received in this thread for recommended updates:

1) Volume control
2) Ability to lock time or temp as opposed to "alternating".
3) Temperature offset as well.

I was surprised that the unit retained as much heat as it did dry at room temp during set up. It read 91 F at one point, approximately 20 F high. It also seems to respond very slow to changes in temperature. Is this normal? Maybe this improves once in the water?

Your suggestions 1 and 2 are in our plans, but both will require another menu option somewhere and that's why they have not yet been implemented. Time of day was added after temperature based on user requests, so the alternating display was a compromise.
re. the temperature, the basic issue is that the case is relatively massive and retains heat. The temperature sensor used is the one in the depth sensor, and it is deep in the case and has limited water flow, so responds more slowly. When we have tested these, they read accurately, but after equalizing. Yes, equalizing temperature will happen more rapidly in water, as water will conduct heat away more rapidly. But things like holding it in your hand will warm it somewhat, and lead to higher temperature readings.

-Ron

Back
Top Bottom