Cocos Island January vs June and which boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am looking for liveaboards for Cocos for 2024/25

I have been to Galapagos and Malpelo and I prefer an operation that mostly caters for advanced divers as I experienced in Malpelo so that rough conditions etc do not compromise the trip

I have a pretty big camera rig but I can do negative entry from tenders no problems

I see that the best season is supposed to be July August but those are the school holidays so off limits for me

I would appreciate some insight from fellow divers on the time of year (all video look pretty good anyway) for larger schools and on the diving style more than the boat comfort

Thank you

I’ve been in August, May, and Jan on the Aggressor Okeanos II. Aug was the best. I don’t remember either of the other two standing out but we saw lots of stuff on all three trips. I’ll be back this Aug on the new Aggressor boat. I think the other vender has the option of an expensive submersible ride. I know there are trip reports about it here someplace.

I’ve been in August, May, and Jan on the Aggressor Okeanos II. Aug was the best. I don’t remember either of the other two standing out but we saw lots of stuff on all three trips. I’ll be back this Aug on the new Aggressor boat. I think the other vender has the option of the expensive submersible ride. I know there are trip reports about it here someplace.
When are you going? I am last week in Aug/first week of Sept.

Aug 26. My April T&C trip was cancelled and I stumbled across a single opening on the Cocos boat when I was rebooking, so I snatched it up. Have you been out there before?​

Aug 26. My April T&C trip was cancelled and I stumbled across a single opening on the Cocos boat when I was rebooking, so I snatched it up. Have you been out there before?​
I think you picked up my buddy Rick's spot. He had something come up and had to cancel so that opened up the slot. There are 5 in my group so you can hang out with us. I have not been there before and as far as I know nobody in my group has either.

@rongoodman

The "other provider" is the Sea Hunter group. Having been out on both one of the older Aggressors and both Sea Hunter boats - the Sea Hunter is the better operation (better food, better boats (incl. the pangas), and better safety record).

The do have a sub although I believe it's on a long term expedition with the Argo (their other ship). A trip to ~900 ft in the sub at Cocos is an amazing experience - I'm looking forward to it coming back to Cocos.

@Interceptor121

Take a look at the Sea Hunter.

@rongoodman

The "other provider" is the Sea Hunter group. Having been out on both one of the older Aggressors and both Sea Hunter boats - the Sea Hunter is the better operation (better food, better boats (incl. the pangas), and better safety record).

The do have a sub although I believe it's on a long term expedition with the Argo (their other ship). A trip to ~900 ft in the sub at Cocos is an amazing experience - I'm looking forward to it coming back to Cocos.

@Interceptor121

Take a look at the Sea Hunter.
Thank you
What I don’t like about the sea hunter and the okeanos aggressor II are the cabins with bunk beds.
I have a camera and I would want to be on the low bunk but even so the idea the other guy is threading on it to go over is not exciting

@Interceptor121

The Sea Hunter has two twin cabins (as an option) that are not bunks. In addition, I have taken DSLR housed cameras on every trip to Cocos and have never had my camera in my room for any appreciable amount of time (except during the crossings to/from Cocos). There are cubbies, working areas, and storage space on the deck that are utilized for cameras. Occasionally people will also work on them in the salon.

Both the Sea Hunter and the Argos have hosted photography expeditions (including several of Howard and Michelle Hall's IMAX filming efforts). If there is room for those massive cameras, there is room for yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom