Cocos Island January vs June and which boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if it will become a permanent thing or not, but Nautilus is another option - Nautilus Liveaboards - Cocos Island Costa Rica
@Interceptor121

The Sea Hunter has two twin cabins (as an option) that are not bunks. In addition, I have taken DSLR housed cameras on every trip to Cocos and have never had my camera in my room for any appreciable amount of time (except during the crossings to/from Cocos). There are cubbies, working areas, and storage space on the deck that are utilized for cameras. Occasionally people will also work on them in the salon.

Both the Sea Hunter and the Argos have hosted photography expeditions (including several of Howard and Michelle Hall's IMAX filming efforts). If there is room for those massive cameras, there is room for yours.
I prepare my camera in my cabin not in common area. Once the camera is set I do not put it on camera tables in any occasion. The camera stays on the ground where it is.
I work like this for the last 15 years and am not planning to change so in this case I will prefer the boat with the two twin beds I guess

I've been in Cocos in September (twice on Argo) and December (once on Okeanos1). I prefer to be there in September for more hammerheads and on Argo (for 1000' depth submersible :yeahbaby:). In the last 2 years Tiger Sharks started to invade Manuelita Channel though and there goes the hammerheads, unfortunately. If you want to see hammerheads now there are still plenty in Galapagos.

Here are my trip videos:

Don't miss Manuelita outside & channel! It used to be hammerhead cleaning station, back in 2018 (as shown, below). Now you'll see more of Tiger Sharks there.

The tigers have been there quite a bit longer than two years.The lady from NYC was killed in 2017.

@Dan & @rongoodman

Actually, we saw a tiger @Cocos ~10 years ago circling a bait ball. The silkies disappeared rather quickly...
The difference was that it was not a resident tiger shark. A small population of tigers now seem to be there almost all year long, that has definitely changed the dynamics of shark sightings as well populations of other sharks around the island (although oddly, this has not impacted the number or locations of the ever present white tip reef sharks).

The hammerheads are still there, just now seen in different locations, and usually significantly deeper. Interestingly, one proof point is the number of hammers seen from the submersible (not huge numbers, but almost always around).

Reactions: Dan
The tigers have been there quite a bit longer than two years.The lady from NYC was killed in 2017.

Yes, I remember the accident. I should have said, “seeing more Tiger Sharks in the last 2-3 years”.

A year later after the 2017 accident, a video of Killer Whales hunting & killing Tiger Sharks showed up (see the video, below) and when I went there in September 2018, I saw NO Tiger shark.

@Interceptor121

"I prepare my camera in my cabin not in common area. Once the camera is set I do not put it on camera tables in any occasion. The camera stays on the ground where it is."

Sure... you are particular about how you want to handle your own camera. A number of divers put their cameras on the ground underneath the cubbies for similar reasons (rather than climbing up/down stairs with your camera rig).

The Sea Hunter folks have been working with underwater photographers for many years - it's very much a photography & videography "friendly" operation - it's why the Halls, Stan Waterman, Nat Geo, the BBC, etc. have all chartered either the Sea Hunter or Argo for filming support.

The do have a sub although I believe it's on a long term expedition with the Argo (their other ship). A trip to ~900 ft in the sub at Cocos is an amazing experience - I'm looking forward to it coming back to Cocos.
Is a ride on the sub included in the cost of the trip or is it extra? If extra, how much?

Is a ride on the sub included in the cost of the trip or is it extra? If extra, how much?

It's extra... there is a minimum cost and set depths they have scheduled dives for, it basically works out to a $1 per foot (note: these prices were pre-pandemic - haven't checked if they have changed). As of right now, the tender (the Argo) and sub are on a scientific research charter that may keep it away from Cocos for a year or more...

It's extra... there is a minimum cost and set depths they have scheduled dives for, it basically works out to a $1 per foot (note: these prices were pre-pandemic - haven't checked if they have changed). As of right now, the tender (the Argo) and sub are on a scientific research charter that may keep it away from Cocos for a year or more...

You got a good deal! I paid $1800 to go to 1000' depth back in September 2018.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom