Cocos Island on Peter Hughes Wind Dancer...when did this happen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to update SB fanatics...
Wind Dancer arrived in Costa Rica after a great trip via the Panama Canal, it was an amazing experience!
We are planning a huge amount of work on Wind in preparation for next year's charters and old friends will see some big changes to how she looks but still with the PHD service that you expect! We have a whole load of work to do and those of you on Facebook can keep up to date there with pictures on the Peter Hughes Diving page as I get round to uploading them.
Wishing you warm waters and good vis (oh, and hammerheads galore!)
Capt Simon

Oh, by the way... shrop3483... greetings from Central America, weren't you the first Captain to take Wind through the Canal all those years ago???

Can you give us some hints as to what will be going on with Wind Dancer and her upcoming new changes? We'd all love to know. I am planning Palau in February 2011, but I could always have my interests shifted if need be..... :)

Hi ewaiea,
There is often a difference between what is planned and what happens... that's the disclaimer... however we have discussed alot of areas for improvements for Wind.
There are alot of areas that you, as guests, wouldnt see (engine room, hull work, pilot house etc) so i wont labor these. But what i will say is that we are discussing two new cabins on the Lido deck to increase capacity to 22. If this happens we will extend the Lido deck back over the top of the dive deck to maintain the excellent space we have up there. In order to accomodate more bodies we would also extend the dive deck back over the area that the swim deck is in (swimming is not really recommended in Tiger Shark infested waters!) and completely remodel the dive deck, camera table and showers. The salon would also be modified, the computers station moved in to the Boatique area, the bar made slightly smaller and new tables and chairs put in. The cabins are due a facelift and we have an interior designer working on these, bringing them up to date & making them brighter. The A/C needs work and the current plan is to replace most, if not all of the internal duct work and evaporator units.
Add to this the fact that we are getting two brand new tenders and a crane to lift them aboard and the $$$ really start to mount up, I am just glad I am not paying the bill!
Hope this has whet you appetite and I look forward to seeing you aboard!
Simon

Simon - with all due respect, people take what is said on this board very seriously. I have been to Cocos several times since 2007 and the waters there are not "Tiger Shark infested". I swim a lot when I am at Cocos. Perhaps this is your British humor but some people will take this seriously.

Agree. I don't think Cocos is tiger shark infested. I've been there 3 times, and each time you hear that the tigers have been sighted, but it's rare.

I'm not sure what to think about more boats going to Cocos. I love that place, but I hate to see traffic jams at the popular dive sites. I mean, everyone wants to dive alcyone and dirty rock over and over. more boats. more divers. less time at these sites. also, cocos is like this little gem, and the idea of it being plundered by shark finners, and now divers is somewhat disturbing....

I've only been once .... so not an expert. The only tiger shark we saw was the one a friend photoshopped into a picture of another diver in our panga who claimed she came face to face with a tiger. Given she was near the rest of the Blue Team for the entire dive and none of us saw the tiger shark, we put this down to an overactive imaginiation!

Agree, will be disappointed if the dive sites become overcrowded or have traffic jams!

Did you guys know that the Peter Hughes Wind Dancer is not in Grenada anymore? They moved it to Cocos Island, I thought there were only two vessels total that had the license to go to that area. When did this change happen and has anyone traveled on the Wind Dancer Cocos Island trip? Does anyone know how it might differ from the Okeanos Aggressor?

And please, I know some people based on their principles don't travel on Peter Hughes liveaboards - but please don't turn this thread into another one of those endless debates. I want to know opinions the different places the boat might set up shop for the week as opposed to other ones, the service, number of dives a day....things like that.....cool?
I also saw this on-line. Is PH replacing the Aggrssor vessel or is this a change in Park policy that limits amount of dive trips?

Three trips and no tigers for me.

I can't believe someone would think the diving in and around the bay islands was going down. I've been to Roatan 9 times, lived there 4 months, lived on Utila for 4 months and been on the Utila Aggressor and Bay Island Aggressor several times. Other than Bloody Bay Wall, I think the diving is better than the areas touched by other liveaboards in the Caribbean. I've done the T&C, Cayman, Belize, Bahamas. Sure it doesn't compare to places like Cocos or Raja Ampat but the diving is still good and it's not badly priced. Many but not all of the dive sites can be done via shore based operators but it's darn hard and exhausting to try and get 5 dives a day in on a land based trip. I think the problems they always face are logistical. Right now for instance their plane leaves at 3pm to beat the darkness but it's really hard for a lot of people to get to San Pedro by that time. I'm sure a lot of people don't like the idea of overnighting in San Pedro.
I for one am looking forward to a new Utila boat. As many have posted before, not everyone can or wants to do Cocos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom